Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Please identify this tree for me

I didn't plant this brave little tree growing in my hostile yard and I
tried to uproot it at first, but it just wouldn't let go, so I started
watering it.

Now it's ten feet tall and growing rapidly in the fierce summer
heat...

All it wants is water.

I'm sure it's probably a common landscaping tree that just volunteered
to grow there, but I don't know what it is.

It has dull pale green accuminate, opposite decussate leaves, with
smooth edges and sparse pinnate venation.

The leaves tend to fold upwards in the center and curl downwards at
the point.

The bark is grey with very fine little white bumps. The branches are
growing up like a menorah and I think it will be a tall tree but not
very wide.

I don't know if it's a deciduous tree or not, I never noticed it
shedding its leaves in the winter.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:20 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Can you post a picture?

-Philip
Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 5, 4:20�am, Philip Wright wrote:
Can you post a picture?

Sorry, I don't have a digtal camera.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

JREwing wrote:
I'm sure it's probably a common landscaping tree that just volunteered
to grow there, but I don't know what it is.

It has dull pale green accuminate, opposite decussate leaves, with
smooth edges and sparse pinnate venation.

The leaves tend to fold upwards in the center and curl downwards at
the point.

The bark is grey with very fine little white bumps. The branches are
growing up like a menorah and I think it will be a tall tree but not
very wide.

I don't know if it's a deciduous tree or not, I never noticed it
shedding its leaves in the winter.

Thanks for your help.

Where do you live? Except for the pale leaves, sounds as if it could be
Ligustrum, which is terribly weedy.

M. Reed
Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message
,
JREwing writes
I didn't plant this brave little tree growing in my hostile yard and I
tried to uproot it at first, but it just wouldn't let go, so I started
watering it.

Now it's ten feet tall and growing rapidly in the fierce summer
heat...

All it wants is water.

I'm sure it's probably a common landscaping tree that just volunteered
to grow there, but I don't know what it is.

It has dull pale green accuminate, opposite decussate leaves, with
smooth edges and sparse pinnate venation.

In the absence of a picture, could you describe the shape and margin of
the leaves.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 5, 11:45�am, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In the absence of a picture, could you describe the shape and margin of
the leaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...y_no_title.png

It has dull pale green accuminate, opposite decussate leaves, with
smooth (entire) edges and sparse pinnate venation. The leaves are
about 3 to 3.5 inches long.

The leaves tend to fold upwards towards the center while curling
downwards at the tips.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 5, 7:27�am, monique wrote:

Where do you live?

�On Sep 5, 7:27 am, monique wrote:

Where do you live?

I live in an area of central California which is technically a desert
(less than 10 inches of rain per year) and the tree is growing in
sandy river bottom soil.

But it could be a landscaping tree from anywhere in the world rather
than a native.

After four years, it is ten feet tall and the trunk is about 2.5
inches in diameter at the base. It is mostly growing upwards, and a
few lower branches are about 2 feet from the ground and spreading out
about 3 feet in four directions at 90 degrees to each other

Except for the pale leaves, sounds as if it could be
Ligustrum, which is terribly weedy.

Tahnks for the suggestion. None of the pictures of Ligustrum on
Wikipedia resemble this tree.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message
,
JREwing writes
On Sep 5, 11:450
In the absence of a picture, could you describe the shape and margin of
the leaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...y_no_title.png

It has dull pale green accuminate, opposite decussate leaves, with
smooth (entire) edges and sparse pinnate venation. The leaves are
about 3 to 3.5 inches long.

The leaves tend to fold upwards towards the center while curling
downwards at the tips.

Sorry - I missed the description of the margin.

In the usage I am familiar with acuminate applies to the apex, which can
be aciculate, acuminate, acute, obtuse, rounded, retuse or emarginate.
It doesn't necessarily carry any import as to the overall shape of the
blade.

Am I to take it that the leaf is ovate (broader towards the base),
unlobed, and with a rounded (not cordate, cuneate or truncate) base?
Even so an indication of the width would help.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 6, 8:00�am, Stewart Robert Hinsley

Am I to take it that the leaf is ovate (broader towards the base),
unlobed, and with a rounded (not cordate, cuneate or truncate) base?
Even so an indication of the width would help.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eaves-scan.jpg

Each leaf is elliptic with entire margin, like the one at 9 o'clock on
the picture. The end is more pointed, but not a spike or thorn.

The leaves are about 2 to 2.5 inches wide, by 3 to 3.5 inches long.

Thanks for your interest.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 12:29:49 -0700 (PDT), JREwing
wrote:

On Sep 6, 8:00?am, Stewart Robert Hinsley

Am I to take it that the leaf is ovate (broader towards the base),
unlobed, and with a rounded (not cordate, cuneate or truncate) base?
Even so an indication of the width would help.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eaves-scan.jpg

Each leaf is elliptic with entire margin, like the one at 9 o'clock on
the picture. The end is more pointed, but not a spike or thorn.

The leaves are about 2 to 2.5 inches wide, by 3 to 3.5 inches long.

Thanks for your interest.

You might try this site:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/main.htm

Plug in what you know about the tree in question and see
what it comes up with. I've had pretty good luck figuring
stuff out that way. If it is some sort of exotic though you
may be out of luck...

Old 08-09-2008, 12:16 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 7, 12:33�pm, Leon Fisk wrote:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/main.htm

Plug in what you know about the tree in question and see
what it comes up with. I've had pretty good luck figuring
stuff out that way. If it is some sort of exotic though you
may be out of luck...

Thanks for your help. It looks like I have some sort of lilac tree,
but it won't flower until next spring or the year after.

The leaves look like these leaves:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...leaves.arp.jpg