Old 19-09-2008, 06:00 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default please help! identify a plant

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:04:10 +0100, landscapemaddie
wrote:

hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

any one be of use? you will gain my undying respect...

Looks to me like a rhododendron.
Old 19-09-2008, 06:15 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

landscapemaddie wrote:
hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

More than a passing resemblance to loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

M. Reed
Old 19-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered User

Old 20-09-2008, 01:41 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

--
landscapemaddie

I am not educated in cultivated plants. I stick to plants that are
native to particular biomes. However my first impression is that it is
either some sort of a rubber plane or a rhodadengron. In Asia these
plants get very large.
Old 20-09-2008, 05:05 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

monique wrote:
landscapemaddie wrote:

hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

More than a passing resemblance to loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

M. Reed

Monique, I, too, thought loquat at first look at the leaves, but the
terminal bud yells "Rhododendron!" so I think that's the direction to go.

Old 20-09-2008, 09:58 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:05:53 GMT, Malcolm Manners
wrote:

monique wrote:
landscapemaddie wrote:

hi, im a landscape architecture student who has searched through about
1000 images of plants and failed to find what this one is:

[image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2qmdzz5.jpg]

More than a passing resemblance to loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

M. Reed

Monique, I, too, thought loquat at first look at the leaves, but the
terminal bud yells "Rhododendron!" so I think that's the direction to go.

I agree rhododendron is the way to go.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/budblast.htm

My loquat has leaves that are much more wrinkled than in the OP's
photo.