Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Spontaneous underground grafting.

Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form root
grafts?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Dec 5, 8:25*pm, "Peter Jason" wrote:
Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form root
grafts?

Aspen trees do, I know of a PHD dissertation on the subject but it has
been many years ago. I think that Blackjack oak and Post oak do also.
John in the Indian Nations
Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

NICHE541 wrote:
On Dec 5, 8:25 pm, "Peter Jason" wrote:

Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form root
grafts?

Aspen trees do, I know of a PHD dissertation on the subject but it has
been many years ago. I think that Blackjack oak and Post oak do also.
John in the Indian Nations

Citrus trees often do, especially on 'Cleopatra' mandarin rootstock.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Live oaks certainly do. It's one of the main reasons live oak wilt
spreads so quickly in the Texas Hill Country.

M. Reed
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article ,
monique wrote:
Live oaks certainly do. It's one of the main reasons live oak wilt
spreads so quickly in the Texas Hill Country.

IIRC, this was one mode of spread of Dutch elm disease in American Elms
as well.

Old 17-12-2008, 04:33 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
NICHE541 wrote:
On Dec 5, 8:25 pm, "Peter Jason" wrote:

Do clumps of trees and plants of the same species form
root
grafts?

Aspen trees do, I know of a PHD dissertation on the
subject but it has
been many years ago. I think that Blackjack oak and Post
oak do also.
John in the Indian Nations

Citrus trees often do, especially on 'Cleopatra' mandarin
rootstock.

I was worried that the application of a weedkiller (roundup)
on one tree might spread to an adjoining one.