Old 26-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Monique Reed

Default why human civilization is based on the staples of wheat, rice,

Read some archaeology. The civiliazations which developed agriculture
arose mostly in fertile plains, not in temperate forests. Also,
acorns must be processed to remove the tannins before they are
edible. Also, many oaks bear large crops only every other year.
Also, if you're trying to develop a stand of bearing oaks, it is going
to take multiple years vs. one with a grain crop.

M. Reed

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

I am the proud owner of some Burr Oak, Quercus macrocarpa (forgive the
spelling if wrong). Anyway, recently I am thinking about my Burr Oak as
harvesting some of the wood since they are too old and I need to make
more room for other trees.

But what I was wondering the most about was why human civilization is
based
on wheat, rice, potatoes, corn and several other staples. But why not
oak acorns?
It would be much easier every year to harvest oak acorns and to make it
into
a bread. Rather than spend so much time on the "annual crops". And oak
in most
of human history has covered most of the Temperate climates so there is
not
a question of paucity of oak and acorns.

If I did not know much about humanity and the species and Earth, and
suppose
I was some God in Olympus having to make myself more aware of humanity
in history, one of the facts that would bother me would be the fact that
humanity
never really made much use of the oak acorn. It seems to me that
humanity
could have based itself on oak acorns more than on wheat or rice.

I guess the answer lies in the taste. I guess that oak acorns are rather
unpalatable.

Many times in the past 10 years of my Internet posting I said that if
aliens existed on other planets and were in communication with each
other. I said that
the main thing is that those aliens have more in common with each other
than
they have differences. Not that they can mate with one another if given
a chance,
because the differences are larger than species DNA. But this Burr Oak
idea
is a nice example of differences between aliens. Here on Earth, the
staples are
wheat, rice, corn, potatoes. But I would wager to guess that on many
alien
planets should they exist that many of those alien civilizations have
staples not
of annuals but of perenials such as a Oak analog.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 26-04-2003, 01:37 PM

In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:
Read some archaeology. The civiliazations which developed agriculture
arose mostly in fertile plains, not in temperate forests. Also,
acorns must be processed to remove the tannins before they are
edible. Also, many oaks bear large crops only every other year.
Also, if you're trying to develop a stand of bearing oaks, it is going
to take multiple years vs. one with a grain crop.

snip

Dad says that there isn't any meat in the acorns this year. I
haven't looked yet. But there sure are a lot of nuts laying
around.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:41:11 -0600 Monique Reed wrote:

Read some archaeology. The civiliazations which developed agriculture

It is not good to start things off by "Read some...." for it indicates a
psychological hole on your part.

arose mostly in fertile plains, not in temperate forests. Also,
acorns must be processed to remove the tannins before they are
edible. Also, many oaks bear large crops only every other year.
Also, if you're trying to develop a stand of bearing oaks, it is going
to take multiple years vs. one with a grain crop.

Where is the next "also"?

But seriously, after I wrote the post last night I was struck by the idea
that human civilization is build around *annuals* and not *perennials*.

So I am wondering of the Energy Equations of annual plants versus
perennials and why human civilization is based upon annuals with
contributions by perennials. Seems to me at first glance that the Energy
Equations should have human civilization with staple crops based upon
perennials with annuals contributing.

If I can figure out the Energy Equation it may lead to some very
interesting conclusions. Such as that civilization not only on Earth but
throughout the Cosmos must be based upon annuals as staples and not
perennials as the staples of civilization.

So that any and every alien civilization that exists and is contacted, that
they
all will be based upon annual staples and never perennial staples.

Monique, have you ever eaten a Burr Oak acorn?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Vince Barmann

Monique Reed wrote:
Read some archaeology. The civiliazations which developed agriculture
arose mostly in fertile plains, not in temperate forests. Also,
acorns must be processed to remove the tannins before they are
edible. Also, many oaks bear large crops only every other year.
Also, if you're trying to develop a stand of bearing oaks, it is going
to take multiple years vs. one with a grain crop.

M. Reed

Besides, there was this terrible tendency to hide them and forget where
one put them.

Vince