Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Name these plants please.

These are all the photos I am able to provide, didn't have time to
wait around for flowers on the field trips.

On this website: http://members.cox.net/cactactactus/

Looking for the identity of #2, #4, #6, #7, #8

The website explains the details about them.

Thanks,
Cartman

#2 Resembles a Tetraclea, but I'm not sure without flowers
#4 Looks like Lycium pallidum
#6 Looks like Baccharis glutinosa
#7 Looks like a Mirabilis, Boerhavia, or Allionia, would need flowers.
#8 I don't know, I would need flowers.

Sean

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms

#2 Resembles a Tetraclea, but I'm not sure without flowers
#4 Looks like Lycium pallidum
#6 Looks like Baccharis glutinosa
#7 Looks like a Mirabilis, Boerhavia, or Allionia, would need flowers.
#8 I don't know, I would need flowers.

Sean

Thanks for looking these up. And thanks for the leads, I'll check them
out. I do alot of my searching at the website:
http://www.nazflora.org/
So just by knowing the Family or Order of the plant, I can go through
the species and see what fits.

Cartman.

#2 Resembles a Tetraclea, but I'm not sure without flowers
#4 Looks like Lycium pallidum
#6 Looks like Baccharis glutinosa
#7 Looks like a Mirabilis, Boerhavia, or Allionia, would need flowers.
#8 I don't know, I would need flowers.

Sean

For #2, There are only 2 Tetraclea native to Arizona, here is the
list:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSea...a geField.y=0

Tetraclea coulteri, the leaves are shaped differently:
http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/200...-wrinklefruit/

Tetraclea viscida (aka: Trichostema brachiatum):
The leaves are different:
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/de...?SpCode=TRIBRA

If you are sure it's in the Verbenaceae family, then I will sift
through all the Genera that are native to AZ.

Cartman.

#2 Resembles a Tetraclea, but I'm not sure without flowers
#4 Looks like Lycium pallidum
#6 Looks like Baccharis glutinosa
#7 Looks like a Mirabilis, Boerhavia, or Allionia, would need flowers.
#8 I don't know, I would need flowers.

Sean

For #4 being Lycium pallidum, I couldn't verify it
because the leaves are different and so is the growth
habit. I'm fairly familiar with the Lycium's in AZ,
and I don't believe it's in that Genus.
Comparison: http://www.swsbm.com/Images/New9-99/...pallidum-2.jpg

What other Genus or Family could it be?

Cartman.

#2 Resembles a Tetraclea, but I'm not sure without flowers
#4 Looks like Lycium pallidum
#6 Looks like Baccharis glutinosa
#7 Looks like a Mirabilis, Boerhavia, or Allionia, would need flowers.
#8 I don't know, I would need flowers.

Sean

For #6...
The leaves do look somewhat similar, but the flowers
seem to be more dense & complex on Baccharis glutinosa
(aka: Baccharis salicifolia)
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/re...?id_image=5028

I will sift through the other Baccharis's that are native to that
area.
Which other Family or Genus could it be?

Cartman.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:02 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote in
:

For #2, There are only 2 Tetraclea native to Arizona, here is the
list:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?
searchTxt=tetraclea&searchType=
Sciname&stateSelect=US04&searchOrder=1&imageField. x=0&imageField.y=0

Tetraclea coulteri, the leaves are shaped differently:
http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/200...-wrinklefruit/

Tetraclea viscida (aka: Trichostema brachiatum):
The leaves are different:
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/de...?SpCode=TRIBRA

If you are sure it's in the Verbenaceae family, then I will sift
through all the Genera that are native to AZ.

That's why I said it resembles, the Tetraclea that it resembles would be
T. coulteri ssp angustifolia. As far as being sure it is in the
Verbenaceae, I'm not so certain that Tetraclea is in the Verbenaceae,
apparently some botanists assign it to Lamiaceae, however... I actually
lean toward the possibility that it is a 4 stamened member of the
Boraginaceae with not much to support that besides round stems and upper
leaves becoming alternate. The next time I see one in the wild I intend
to rip it apart and look for a staminode.

Sean

Old 15-08-2009, 11:15 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote in :

For #6...
The leaves do look somewhat similar, but the flowers
seem to be more dense & complex on Baccharis glutinosa
(aka: Baccharis salicifolia)
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/re...?id_image=5028

I will sift through the other Baccharis's that are native to that
area.
Which other Family or Genus could it be?

Baccharis is dioecious, look for images of the gynoecious form.

Sean