Old 26-08-2009, 10:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default [ID] rudbeckia sp.

Hello,

I gathered seeds of a rudbeckia in a botanical garden in France, but
it's obviously not the species which was on the label (rudbeckia
occidentalis):

http://cjoint.com/data/izlGmj36Wb_IMG_7815.JPG

A seed:

http://cjoint.com/data/iAvC1OxbqZ_graine.jpg

If anyone knows this species...

--
jean
Old 28-08-2009, 11:31 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

jean wrote in news:4a95972c$0$3607
:

Hello,

I gathered seeds of a rudbeckia in a botanical garden in France, but
it's obviously not the species which was on the label (rudbeckia
occidentalis):

http://cjoint.com/data/izlGmj36Wb_IMG_7815.JPG

A seed:

http://cjoint.com/data/iAvC1OxbqZ_graine.jpg

If anyone knows this species...

Looks like a native of the American West, Verbesina encelioides, Golden
crownbeard, or Anil del Muerto.

http://www.swsbm.com/Images/New8-200...elioides-2.jpg (note,
the Michael Moore credited with the image is a noted SW Herbalist, not
the filmmaker.)

Here are the seeds.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/sos/bendco...ges/Verbesina%
20encelioides_JPG.jpg

The plant is probably a weed in that garden, it has a tendency to seed
easily, and in areas where there are no natural pests for it, it can
become a weed. Midway island is having problems with it. The seeds can
live for many years deep in the soil. The Spanish name comes from its
appearance on graves, where soil is brought up from below.

Sean

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms