Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.environment,sci.bio.technology

Default how many disease free Rock Elm are there? Perhaps zero

Sean Houtman *

Don't forget that Rock Elm doesn't produce seeds every year.

Apparently, Dutch Elm affects seed production in Rock
Elm that disallows seed formation. Dutch Elm affects
American elm, but not to the extreme point that American elm can still
produce seeds and thus giving
new trees. With Rock Elm, we have ceased having new
trees since perhaps year 1999.

This may not be a problem with a species that doesn't produce seeds
every year. There may be other reasons why you haven't seen seeds. There
are millions of Rock Elm trees, are you certain that there have been 0
seeds produced since 1999?

Sean you remind me of your recent squirmish with me
over Newton's law of every action has equal and opposite reaction and
Monique also, with both of yours
lack of understanding of physics in biology. But let us
let that rest for now.

For now I would like to point out your low quality or lack of quality
of science postings.

It seems that you can only repeat the phrase "Rock elm does not seed
every year" as an excuse. I was well aware of Rock elms seeding habits
and none of your posts is any new information for me as far as
Rock Elm is concerned.

I suspect that not one single person on planet Earth today, has a Rock
Elm seed available. I suspect that
no Rock Elm tree since the 1990s has produced a viable seed. And I
suspect the culprit is Dutch Elm Disease. That by year 2000, every
mature Rock elm tree east of the Missouri River is infected with Dutch
Elm. Unlike American elm, Rock elm once infected ceases to form seeds.
So Rock Elm is the most vulnerable of elms to Dutch Elm disease.

Now, Sean, you forgot the word "probably" when you said there are a
million Rock Elm trees.

Yours is a pure guess, as would mine be a pure guess.
So you need to be cognizant of science writing when you make
statements like this:

"There are millions of Rock Elm trees.."

Your three posts on this subject amount to one sentence -- Rock elm
does not produce seeds yearly.
So you needed only one post with one paragraph. And
you should not be making statements that there are
millions of Rock Elm. You should have included "probably".

But my guess is that there are only about 100,000 Rock Elm trees
remaining in the world. That is based
on my field trips to where Rock Elm exist. And of the
few I have actually seen and counted, most were dead.
And in one of the books I read, the author said words
to the effect "this species is rarely found"

So, Sean, you are butting into a conversation with your
doubting scepticism where you should not butt in. I am
passionate about Rock Elm, and you have almost no feelings about Rock
Elm.

I am calling an alarm for Rock Elm, and you know next to nothing about
Rock Elm. So butt out.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
Old 25-09-2009, 01:42 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.environment,sci.bio.technology

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in
:

But my guess is that there are only about 100,000 Rock Elm trees
remaining in the world. That is based
on my field trips to where Rock Elm exist. And of the
few I have actually seen and counted, most were dead.
And in one of the books I read, the author said words
to the effect "this species is rarely found"

So if you have visited all of the habitats for rock elm, you should say
so. How many locales have you been to? By the way, if a single seed is
discovered, then your claim that there are probably no seeds anywhere in
the world becomes debunked.

So, Sean, you are butting into a conversation with your
doubting scepticism where you should not butt in. I am
passionate about Rock Elm, and you have almost no feelings about Rock
Elm.

Actually, you and I are the only ones talking about rock elm. If you
don't want me to be involved, a solution would be for you to stop
posting about them.

Sean

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms