Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Rose Coreopsis?

Is this Rose Coreopsis? Central Ohio roadside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

leaves
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

It matches Newcomb's pretty well but matches no example on the web.

Old 25-09-2009, 12:59 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Ron Hardin wrote in news:4AA66738.752
@mindspring.com:

Is this Rose Coreopsis? Central Ohio roadside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

leaves
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardi...n/photostream/

It matches Newcomb's pretty well but matches no example on the web.

It looks more like a Cosmos to me. Coreopsis rosea has linear leaves, your
images show pinnate leaves. The difference between Cosmos and Coreopsis is
largely in the pappus, Coreopsis has a low crown or two barbless teeth,
while Cosmos has barbed awns.

You also don't say how large the flowers are, C. rosea is generally less
than 2 inches across, while Cosmos tends to be more than 2 inches.

Sean

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms
Old 27-09-2009, 09:56 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Sean Houtman wrote:

[...]

Cosmos looks like a good match (it's not in Newman's!); about 2.5 inches across.

One roadside flower by itself, no others anywhere to be seen.

Still there to be measured. No frost, and nobody's run over it.

coreopsis Gordie Garden Photos 1 26-10-2007 05:31 PM
Coreopsis? Carol Hague United Kingdom 1 23-09-2007 05:53 PM
Ailing Coreopsis Fleemo Gardening 6 13-09-2004 09:28 PM
Rejuvenating Coreopsis Fleemo Gardening 5 09-08-2004 09:44 PM
Coreopsis question rosemarie face Gardening 5 30-08-2003 11:32 PM