Old 29-05-2010, 07:02 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany

Default horses should not be kept alone and in isolation #16 stories about mycats and horses

Well I was sick and tired of seeing my pinto pony moping about, never
prancing or
running like he did in previous years. And the alpacas in the fence of
neighboring field
were just not enough company. The pony would spend alot of time in
front of a
shed window looking at himself in the reflection. So I got tired of
this gloomy
pony and went out and bought two miniature horses for companionship.
Today
they were delivered, and my pony become young again. He was darting
and
prancing all over the pasture fence to meet the newcomers. I am going
to wait
a couple of days before I let them join into one herd, in that the
pony is often
too aggressive. He is a gelding but wants to be in charge of everyone.

I think it is cruel to leave a horse alone and isolated from other
horses. Like
putting a person in prison and all outside contact.

But as usual in life and animals, when we think we solved a problem, a
newer
problem arises. Will the pinto behave around the smaller horses? If he
kicks those
smaller horses, he could kill them.

Some may wonder why I even bother with horses, for I do not ride them.
I bother with
them because I want to prove a point that Landscaping with having
horses on
the property enriches the soil and cuts down on mowing time. Horses
eat mostly
the grass and leave the trees and bushes alone. So I have myself three
ponies that
are enriching the soil and saving me on grass cutting.

In fact, of all the lawns in South Dakota, this spring, mine was
probably near the
top of the list of
greenest-springtime-lawn in South Dakota because of the horses.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/
Old 30-05-2010, 06:56 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany

Default horses should not be kept alone and in isolation #17 stories about mycats and horses

I was a bit worried about last night and those miniature ponies as to
whether a
coyote may bother them since they are so small. They are yearlings and
about the
size of a large goat. And I kept the pinto pony Corky, a medium sized
horse in the
next fenced field, so they could acquint themselves but not physically
meet.

I wanted Corky to be with the miniatures tonight in case of coyotes.
Corky is
pretty aggressive so I took a heavy chain and snapped it on his halter
and weighed
down his back to meet the new two miniatures, so that he would not
kick any
of them. He lumbered over to them and did alot of smelling and tried
some biting
but the two miniatures were not afraid of Corky, so I took the chain
off. And watched
them periodically in the day. They became friends and a new herd, led
by Corky
since he is about thrice their size. And then I chased after the two
miniatures to
see if Corky would intercede and defend them. He did so by leading
them
away from me.

So the story is all coming up roses on these horses. They enrich my
grounds
and soil with fertilizer and they eat much of the grass to save me on
mowing.

Call it Landscape Architecture with ponies.

And it is a nice story about a lonely horse, who didn't have much to
live for
other than eat and going crazy by being lonely. So I took the trouble
to find
him some companions and he came back to life, prancing around like his
youthful years.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/
Old 31-05-2010, 07:42 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany

Default three female cats; where they conceive #18 stories about my cats andhorses

This horse story is becoming like a fable of a human story. Years and
months ago, I had
a depressed pinto pony who kept staring at a window for a reflection
of himself to calm his
mind. He did have some company with the neighboring fenced alpaca, but
he knew they
were not his kind.

So I finally sought to solve the problem and give the pinto a
meaningful life, for I went
and bought two more ponies, and my old Corky came bouncing back to
life, or I should
say came prancing around again.

He now has his own herd of three horses, and he is the largest. And
now I deliberately
go chasing after the two new ponies who are afraid of me and start to
move away, to see if Corky intercedes and is protecting of them. And
he does
so with vim and vigor. He sees I am coming and the newcomers go
running off, and
Corky runs to their defense by meeting me, before he leads them to
safety. So Corky
has meaning in life now, to protect his herd.

----

Now for a cat story. I knew, subconsciously that I would get into
trouble with 3
healthy female cats, that all three would get pregnant, and pregnant
they became.
I guess I sort of sloughed the thought off, or waylaid the awareness
of what would
happen. Two of them were under 1 year old and I figured that they
would not have
a viable pregnancy. But their mother was prolific. Their mother could
possibly win
an award for a most prolific female cat. But her daughter, a teenager
daughter in
cat terms, is even more prolific. She outdid her mother by having a
litter of 7 kittens.
Two grays, four blacks, and one all white kitten. When this female cat
was pregnant
she looked almost like a discus, so perfectly round, that you would
pick up and hold
like a discus. But the night after she gave birth, she was back to
being a small cat
and thin as a rail. Amazing how she could endure 7 kittens when humans
complain
about 1 child. But I feed her very well, and that is probably why she
endures. I start
her day off with a cup of sour cream with half and half, then later on
some chicken
hearts and gizzards, and later on some dry food.

But I sort of realized that I would get into trouble with three
females, that I would
be facing a day in which all three have litters. And last night the
sister cat of the
prolific one gave birth. That leaves only the calico ready to
conceive.

The funny thing about the calico is that when I pet her, she does this
routine act
of scratching behind her ears. Most cats lick their paws after eating
their suppers,
but this calico rubs here ears whenever I pet her.

But anyway, I sort of realized this nightmare of dealing with so many
cats would
have some bright side to it. I was thinking of an experiment of these
female cats
as to their intelligence. Two of the females live up "high" in their
home building.
They climb up to the highest point inside the building and that is
where they
sleep and rest. So I was wondering if when they give birth, whether
they would
be smart enough to have the litter on the ground, rather than her
kittens falling
down from up high.

So the answer so far is in that the sister gave birth last night on
the ground
level for her litter was in a boat pillow.

The calico is expecting any day now, and she is the one that lives
real high
up in the celing. So I want to see if she is smart enough to have her
litter
on the ground level. Maybe their conception is wherever they find
themselves
at the moment, whether up high or on the ground. Maybe none of them
says to themselves " I better give birth on the ground level."

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/