Old 23-07-2010, 06:57 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default BioFuel

I lately read about Algae Fuel. Now I am wondering why there isn't
any mass commercialization of such technologies - which potentially
can be used to fuel existing (diesel) vehicles without any or with
least modifications ? Is economic viability still a major factor
compared to mineral oils ?
Like many I also find it to be a cool idea to feed algae with CO2 and
sunlight and make oil.Even though burning those fuels generate CO2,
total CO2 content will remain unaltered. Seems like the most natural
way to mass produce fuel for your need.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:57:08 -0700 (PDT), Jean
wrote:

I lately read about Algae Fuel. Now I am wondering why there isn't
any mass commercialization of such technologies - which potentially
can be used to fuel existing (diesel) vehicles without any or with
least modifications ? Is economic viability still a major factor
compared to mineral oils ?
Like many I also find it to be a cool idea to feed algae with CO2 and
sunlight and make oil.Even though burning those fuels generate CO2,
total CO2 content will remain unaltered. Seems like the most natural
way to mass produce fuel for your need.

A better idea is to have engineered floating kelp plants and/or
floating oil-containing plants on the surface of the oceans (Sargasso
sea? Water hyacinths?) to utilize the sunlight and free space. Large
harvesting ships would then collect these at varying times. Some
plants are salt resistant and actually excrete salt.
Genetic engineering might be of use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarisk
has salt resistance (et al), and so will have a gene for this
property.