Old 21-10-2010, 05:22 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.environment

Default horses eat alot of fallen tree leaves in Autumn stories about mycats and horses #24

I now have six horses. Purchased to keep the grounds and landscaping
from me having to
mow and now I find an additional benefit. They love eating fallen tree
leaves, especially apple
and oak leaves. They love elm; maybe for their sweet taste.

I find that horses like to finish their day of browsing with snacks of
me cutting down small
volunteer weed trees such as hackberry or elm and then giving them the
limbs to eat the
green leaves. They have become so accustomed to eating tree leaves
when hearing the sound of a chainsaw that they come running when
hearing a chain saw.

So I have many benefits by keeping horses. They keep the grass low.
They fertilize the entire
grounds. And now they take care of fallen leaves of Autumn.

They do take time, though. The fences have to always be checked and
strengthened.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.environment

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:22:24 -0700 (PDT), Archimedes Plutonium
wrote:

[...]

What about the vet fees?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.environment

wrote:

[...]

Well, you know, these are like wild horses put behind a fence to live
out their lives as to only having to eat and have fun.

We do not send vets out to pamper wild horses on the range, do we?

If these were race horses, sure, call a vet every other day.

So far, my horses have not needed any medical attention, other than a
worming which I can administer.

The only thing bothering my horses these days are biting flies, and
they
find shelter in a shaded alleyway of my barn for which it is so dark
that the
flies do not go back there.

I know of no good solution for biting flies, but I guess owners of
race
horses do have a solution.

I was testing the eyes of my horses, I have six, four males, two
females
and one female was blind in one eye at birth. Their eyes shine back
from
a flashlight in the dark unless blind.

Fireflies at this time of year can trick me into thinking it is a
horse there.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.environment

Default stories about my cats and horses #26

I forgotten I had numbered these stories, so this one must be #26.

Anyway, today had a great laugh over one of my tomcats. My two
tomcats are bothered and harrassed by a neighborhood tomcat who
is interested in the sisters of my tomcats.

My tomcats are not up to fighting, and I do not blame them and I
personally chase away any intruding tomcats.

But a fiercesome tomcat is lately been coming around, scaring away all
the males.

And as I was coming home tonight I happened to glance on top of the
roof of the house was one of my tomcats. I evidently found the ladder
that is secured to the house and is able to climb it easily and alight
on top of the roof.

So I guess my tomcat was scouting the neighborhood for that vicious
tomcat.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Ducks and Goose:

Reporting on my two ducks and goose. They are low maintenance, for I
only need to feed them once daily and change the water every other
day.

I wonder how they endure the mosquitoes? Whether they eat them?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:06 PM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.environment

wrote:

[...]

Unless the "range" covers 100 acres, the horses will starve. Aren't
you feeding them oats, barley and bran? Are these wild horses or
inbred cute-looking critters bred for the boutique hobby farmer?

The horse "droppings" harbor worm eggs that go on to re-infest. The
vet will require worming ALL the time.

Take my advice; sell the horses to the knackery - and buy a cat!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:12 PM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.environment

Ducks and Goose:

Reporting on my two ducks and goose. They are low maintenance, for I
only need to feed them once daily and change the water every other
day.

I wonder how they endure the mosquitoes? Whether they eat them?

Wild dogs (even the cute neighborhood barker) will decimate the
feathered critters. Only the ones that can fly will be safe. Dogs
will bite off their heads and lick the blood, and kill the rest for
sport. Keep in a pen at night, and when unattended. I knew
some-one with just such an arrangement and the only thing to survive
was a peacock - because it flew on to the roof.

Mosquitoes are less of a problem than the flies who buzz about the
crap these critters leave behind.