Old 15-06-2011, 08:02 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc,soc.history

Default lost my best rock elm today to wind; Missouri River floods this year

Sad depressing news today. Actually it must have occurred yesterday
but did not
notice until today. My very best and tallest rock elm tree was snapped
at the ground due to wind damage. The tree had the most wings or cork
flares on branches and was about 12 foot tall and about a 5 cm
diameter trunck. All those years of care gone up in a day. I blame it
on the fact that it was a graft and grafts are just not good enough,
for if it had been from a seed, this breaking would not
have happened. Grafting is good if you continually replace trees with
more new grafts, but for something to be permanent, no more grafts.

Also today I did some strawberry transplants and over the years have
come to one conclusion, that strawberries need to be put into a
container for the summer and put into a cold frame for the winter and
then back into a container next spring. Strawberries just cannot
survive the weeds and grasses. I have tried almost every trick in the
books, such as a special mower that mows the weeds and grasses but
leaves the strawberries. None work as good as containers. I leave
special empty containers for the runners.

Comment on the weather here in South Dakota. This year is very
different for the majority of the past 10 years has been dry and
droughts in the summer. This year we are having a flood of Missouri
River water and it is affecting Sioux City in a major way because many
homes down there were built on the flood plain. The Army Corp of
Engineers are releasing alot of water at Gavins Point Dam. I believe
they are releasing because if they do not release, they run the risk
that the backed up water could damage the entire dam and a flood
of a wall of water all at once come tumbling down the Missouri. They
said they
built those dams to withstand backed up water, but I believe that the
structural integrity of those is called into question when alot of
water is backed up. And I figure that such a dam break explanation
given in the news is not done for it frightens too many people.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 19-06-2011, 05:52 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc,soc.history

On Jun 15, 1:02*am, Archimedes Plutonium
wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that you have lost the Rock Elm after many years of
care
and effort. One hopes that you can continue your contributions to
Usenet from another venue. I lost a favorite papaya tree in the 2011
"4-day freeze" of last February.

David H at the Gulf Coast