Old 19-08-2011, 11:23 PM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture

Default horses love tree leaves: stories about my horses and cats

Well, I made a startling discovery about my horses and when I run out
of fresh green pasture grass. My horses love eating leaves of elm,
mulberry, ash and other trees. So I prune along the fence rows the
trees branches and give them those to feed on for the day.

This takes added time, and more time to clean up the denuded limbs on
the ground, but it is well worth it for I have to clean up the brush
anyway.

And what is worse is the old practice of cleaning up brush and setting
fire with air pollution.

My way, the horses get good food, and I get more firewood in the end.

Now I wonder if they teach this at agriculture schools, that livestock
love leaves of trees and to use our brush to a good goal rather than
cut it down and burn and pollute the air.

I remember someone in Austria or Germany about 5 or 10 years ago
posting to my comments saying that he fed his cattle or horses with
brush in the evening as a "snack".

Well the horses love the tree leaves so much that they rather eat the
leaves than find grass. But the favorite of horses is apples and
oatmeal cookies.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 23-08-2011, 02:33 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture

On 8/19/11 4:23 PM, Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
Well, I made a startling discovery about my horses and when I run out
of fresh green pasture grass. My horses love eating leaves of elm,
mulberry, ash and other trees. So I prune along the fence rows the
trees branches and give them those to feed on for the day.

This takes added time, and more time to clean up the denuded limbs on
the ground, but it is well worth it for I have to clean up the brush
anyway.

And what is worse is the old practice of cleaning up brush and setting
fire with air pollution.

My way, the horses get good food, and I get more firewood in the end.

Some cut.

You might want to take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/3pokpn5
Some trees and plants are toxic to horses.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] View Post
[...]

Such a very amazing link!
Old 13-09-2011, 08:11 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture

Default horses love acorns; stories about my horses and cats

I was pleasantly surprized last week, the horses love acorns from oak
trees. I would have thought the
tannic acid in them was too strong to be palatable and that they would
also be rather tough to grind.
But apparently not. And also, a lot of people think a horse behaviour
of chewing on wood is abnormal.
I think it is normal behaviour since when I throw them tree branches
to eat the leaves, they also
chew on the cambium green layer for nutrients. So horses chewing on
wood is their way of saying
that they want some green tree bark to satisfy their craving. When I
let the horses
loose each day, they head for the apple trees first, then the pears,
and finally the acorns, and then
the grass.

Also, with my headlamp, I usually see the reflection in the horses
eyes and the cats, but also
I now see that large spiders have those reflecting eyes.

ArchimedesPlutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

cucumbers this year: stories about my horses, cats, ducks/goose Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 0 28-08-2011 09:55 PM
horses eat alot of fallen tree leaves in Autumn stories about mycats and horses #24 Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 5 06-07-2011 12:12 AM
horses should not be kept alone and in isolation #16 stories about mycats and horses Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 2 31-05-2010 08:42 AM
Elm Tree stories RoyDMercer Lawns 2 18-04-2004 05:04 PM
Roses I Love To Hate And The People Who Love Them Shiva Roses 30 10-06-2003 03:56 AM