Old 16-07-2012, 04:41 PM
SurfGirl's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Lima, El Perú, SouthAmerica
Question Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings

Good morning!

This is the first time I manage to germinate a dozen of lemon seeds (Citrus x Lemon) and now I have a dozen of seddlings. Actually they are eleven 'cause one of them had die and I suspect about chlorosis.

Half of the remaining seedlings had all the symptoms of chlorosis: leaves getting yellow and pale stem. This is really confusing for me 'cause I use the best substratum for my seeds and it has all the specific nutrients for fruit plants.

I have 2 possible problems that may causes it:

1. In my country regular water supply is really "hard". I mean it has high mineral content (Ca and Mg) so it may "block" the iron for example.

2. Recently I had to fumigate my little apple due a caterpillars attack. I've read that pesticides can cause chlorosis also.

Please, what can I do now to fix this mess?

Thanks for answering!

Maggs
Old 18-07-2012, 02:31 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:41:18 +0000, SurfGirl
wrote:

[...]

Hi Maggs,
would you please provide a couple pictures of your
seedlings and a close-up on one of the leaves.

What temperature was the water?

Were the seedlings fully exposed to the sun?

How long was germination?

Please details substratum used?

Could we also have a look at the roots?

But..Hey!..you managed to grow Lemon seedlings..

Jordan
Old 18-07-2012, 03:55 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

I don't think your problem is chlorosis at all. Your problem is what we call damping off. It is a fungus that attacks newborn seedlings. Spray with a fungicide. Next time plant your seeds in a sterile medium. Pour boiling water over it and let it cool before you plant.
Iris
Old 18-07-2012, 09:00 PM
SurfGirl's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Lima, El Perú, SouthAmerica
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Legare View Post
Hi Maggs,
would you please provide a couple pictures of your
seedlings and a close-up on one of the leaves.

What temperature was the water?

Were the seedlings fully exposed to the sun?

How long was germination?

Please details substratum used?

Could we also have a look at the roots?

But..Hey!..you managed to grow Lemon seedlings..

Jordan

Hi Jordan, thanks for your interest n my case...

This is so frustrating, I don't know how to insert pics in here but I have taken a lot of pictures of the lemon. Can u tell me how to put the pics in here?

Let's see, in the meantime I’m gonna answer some other questions.

1. The water was taken directly from the faucet so its temperature was + or less 20ºC (68ºF)

2. The germination has took place in the inside of the house in moisten kitchen paper and it took 10 days long. After that all of them germinates and went to the roof top of the house (we call it “azotea”) and the y had direct sun light. Nevertheless, we are in winter time so we have no sun light at all and its cold in here. I live close to the beach. Total time of the seedlings is 5 or 6 weeks.

3. The substratum I’ve use is “Tierra de Almácigo” or soil seedbed that contains N+K+P+Mg, fungicides to prevent mold from our high humidity and a perfect combination or porous texture. It’s the best of the best of the substratum available for rookies like me.

4. Yes, I’ve take a look at the roots of the two dead lemons (now I have two dead). The roots look perfectly normal and healty, but the stem looks dryer than a martini and it has lost all their leaves.

Germinate lemons is really easy, nut you need to take healthy lemons from the farm. Modern agriculture takes immature lemons from the trees and its seed are unviables. You need lemons take from the tree when they are fully mature

Then you consume the lemon as always but preserve the seeds. You put it in any Tupperware with moisted kitchen paper (like in the school) and leave it in a warm place like your kitchen. Open the Tupperware from time to time and change the paper if you notice fungus (like a black stein in the paper).

10 or 14 days after lemon seeds opens and you can see the little root growing. Wait a few days and then put it in the best substratum you can find and… That’s all!

I want to use this lemons (very common and easy to germinate) as rootstock for grafting Tangelo (Citrus x Tangelo) and Pomelo Rosado (Citrus x Paradisi) in them.

Once I can manage to put pics I’ll do.

Thanks!

Maggs
Old 18-07-2012, 09:04 PM
SurfGirl's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Lima, El Perú, SouthAmerica
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaisr View Post
I don't think your problem is chlorosis at all. Your problem is what we call damping off. It is a fungus that attacks newborn seedlings. Spray with a fungicide. Next time plant your seeds in a sterile medium. Pour boiling water over it and let it cool before you plant.
Iris
Hi Bonsaisr!

I hope its not dumpling-off. I've suffer that with my new baby born Pinus Pinea and I've lost all my new germinated pines 'cause of that.

In this case its not that. The lemons that had died, did it stand up and straight.

Yes, it could be a fungus, but they are too young to use Aliette or other systemic fungicide. They have only 8 cms tall.

Thanks!

Maggs

Old 19-07-2012, 02:56 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:00:16 +0000, SurfGirl
wrote:

Jordan Legare;964797 Wrote:
[...]

Then you consume thie lemon as always but preserve the seeds. You put it
in any Tupperware with moisted kitchen paper (like in the school) and
leave it in a warm place like your kitchen. Open the Tupperware from
time to time and change the paper if you notice fungus (like a black
stein in the paper).

10 or 14 days after lemon seeds opens and you can see the little root
growing. Wait a few days and then put it in the best substratum you can
find and… That’s all!

I want to use this lemons (very common and easy to germinate) as
rootstock for grafting Tangelo (Citrus x Tangelo) and Pomelo Rosado
(Citrus x Paradisi) in them.

Once I can manage to put pics I’ll do.

Thanks!

Maggs

Hi,
it's a nice project you are working on...I wish I could help you
diagnose this issue. I dont want to create any expectations here so I
am going to be really honest and admit that this is going to be a
longshot for me. I do have a technical degree in
agriculture...however, I live in Canada and therefore I do not really
have a lot of experience with growing exotics.

A couple of things come to my mind:

1-salinity an alcalinity of the soil
2-cold weather and low sunlight
3-hardening period before transfer to "azotea”

As read on --
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...372014742.html

"You can often get yellowing of the leaves with lemons due to
chlorosis but this can be dealt with by feeding with an acidic plant
food."

Also on the same ressource--

"Although relatively hardy, keep your young lemon plant inside for its
first winter. For subsequent winters it can be left or protected
depending on the weather in you area."

--------------------------

I personally like Forte Agent New Reader...

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Your software must have an option to also attach files to usenet
postings.

I hope this is usefull

Jordan
Old 19-07-2012, 05:20 AM
SurfGirl's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Lima, El Perú, SouthAmerica

So cool! I've just manage to upload this pics... Finally!
Attached Thumbnails
Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings-p6230038.jpg   Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings-p6230041.jpg
Old 20-07-2012, 02:17 AM
SurfGirl's Avatar
[...]

Agent Making Usenet Fun

Your software must have an option to also attach files to usenet
postings.

I hope this is usefull

Jordan

Hi Jordan.

Finally I’ve manage to upload the pics, can u see them?

Thank you, yes I’m doing my best in this project but this one is not the first time I germinate seedlings to use them as rootstock. I’ve did the same with avocado and I’m looking for alternatives to improve my technique for apples, pears and difficult prunus like Apricot (Prunus armeniaca). You can see it in this post (it is in Castillian, but it has pictures)

Germinando un Imperio de Albaricoques - Foro de InfoJardín

You see, I think you can try the same thing I do. I participate in a French forum and I’ve talk with a lot of people from Canada and they do have Citrics. They have them in greenhouses or pots they can take inside the house in winter time. Most of them are in the second or third generation and I suppose the citrics already has developed some sort of natural resistance to the cold weather. If I can have a Red Delicious apple tree (I do have one), why you can’t have a simple lemon tree?

About your questions...

1. Aye, I have to test again the soil 'cause as I said, our water supply are very hard and is very alkaline.
2. Lack of sunlight and cold weather could be another problem, of course.
3. All the seedlings had germinated in the azotea (rooftop), but inside the laundry room. Now they are in open space but they had no sunlight thanks to our everlasting fog. Have you been in London in winter? Well, this is twice worse…

Here we have a pic of our weather…

Maggs
Attached Thumbnails
Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings-orrantia-001.jpg   Chlorosis in Lemon seedlings-orrantia-002.jpg