GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Begonia dregei (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/209681-begonia-dregei.html)

[email protected] 06-05-2014 06:06 PM

Begonia dregei

I recently bought a B. dregei hybrid. It appears to be a caudiciform succulent. It amounts to a little 5 tree forest growing on top of a potato. In wiring the stems, I snapped one right off. This plant has no wood & no bark. I fastened the stem back immediately with bonsai cut-paste (similar to plasticine). I am not familiar with non-woody plants. Will it graft itself together? Will the broken stem die eventually? Will it act as an air-layer?
Iris

[email protected] 26-02-2015 11:46 PM

Begonia dregei

I got my answer. The graft did not take at all. However, the plant buds back to the tuber (or whatever that is) easily, so I can keep the right number of stems. It is not really a very good bonsai subject.
Iris