Old 06-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Monique Reed

Default Clang!

Thanks for posting the original article.

I wonder how well this barcoding would work in plants, which
frequently ignore specific, and even generic, boundaries when
reproducing.

M. Reed.

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

This should be where this thread started:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~phebert/pdfs...ding_paper.pdf

PvR

Old 06-02-2003, 07:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

I can't say. A considerable part of the advances in 'molecular systematics'
in plants are based on chloroplast DNA which is transmitted through only one
parent (maternal in dicots). This works fine for higher ranks, but at the
species level there is still a world to be discovered.

However I do know that CITES is looking into identifying plant material by
'DNA barcoding'.

Note the article proposes to use mitochondria in animals.
PvR

Monique Reed schreef