Old 11-02-2003, 02:40 AM
gwayner

Default Cereus question

I have a night blooming Cereus that bloomed about 20 years ago and never
since. What do I have to do to get it to bloom again.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:49 PM
Cereoid+10

You need to do the traditional fertility dance on your front lawn buck naked
under a full moon. Be sure to make a lot of noise whooping and hollering so
that you wake up all your neighbors!! ;-)

Since the common name "Night blooming Cereus" is commonly applied to several
different night blooming Cactaceae, including arborescent species, vines and
epiphytes, it is difficult to say what the problem is. Find out your plant's
proper scientific name. Repotting the plant with new soil, regular watering,
fertilizer and giving it sufficient light is a good idea. After 20 years, it
certainly needs it.

Old 14-02-2003, 11:17 PM
bbb

gwayner wrote in message
I have a night blooming Cereus that bloomed about 20 years ago and never
since. What do I have to do to get it to bloom again.

I'm assuming he means cereus peruvianus. Make sure the roots aren't
rootbound, if they are gently transfer into a large enough pot, and
gently tap the rootbound dirt loose. Try allowing it to go without
water for a couple weeks, if still nothing, buy some cactus fertilizer
and give to the cactus at 50% streangh, never want to overfertilize a
cactus. They might have some bloom nutrients for cactus, I'm not sure.
Light may be an issue as well.
Old 15-02-2003, 03:24 AM
Iris Cohen

I'm assuming he means Cereus peruvianus.

Now, I always thought it meant Hylocereus undatus. Just to show you he really
should find out theexact species.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 15-02-2003, 04:04 AM
Cereoid+10

There is no "Cereus peruvianus". The type illustration for "Cereus
peruvianus" is a portion of a stem with no flowers and is completely
unidentifiable.

The plant usually misidentified as "Cereus peruvianus" in the trade is
Cereus hildmannianus, a species from eastern Brazil not Peru.

The plant usually called "Night Blooming Cereus" by amateur growers is
Epiphyllum oxypetalum. Other species of Epiphyllum have also gone under that
name.

The weedy species naturalized in Hawaii and called "Night Blooming Cereus"
is Hylocereus undatus.

Other plants often called "Night Blooming Cereus" include Peniocereus
greggii and various species of Selenicereus. All of the columnar species of
Cactaceae are night bloomers also.

Old 17-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Vcoerulea

I'm assuming you're talking about a semi-epiphyte, the kind with flat,
triangular, or even round stems. They may or may not have visible spines but
all will grow arial roots along their stems especially when stressed for
water. This is the most common kind I've come across referred to as night
blooming cereus. They may include Hylocereus, Selenocereus, Epiphyllums,
etc. Regardless of the name, they all want a porous, well-drained, but
moisture retentive mix to grow in. We grow the epiphyllums in a mix of
spongerock and coconut chips with a healthy handful of coconut dust thrown
in each 12" basket. The uprights or rampant growers we pot in 4-5 gal
containers of similiar mix and try to keep them from rooting through the
woven ground cloth into the ground. Pot-bound is not a problem. When their
happy, your main job will be to constrain their growth. We had a Hylocereus
we struggled to keep at 6-8'. We treat them similiar to our orchids by
fertilizing them 1/2 strength every week with bloom builder substituted in
early spring. With strong light ~50% shade, ours bloom over several weeks
with as many as 20 blooms open at a time. There's frequently a rebloom in
late summer.
Now if you are talking about a Cereus peruvianus or similiar relative,
potting in a well-drained mix is still a requirment. Run a large knife
around the inside of the pot right up against the pot to remove the roots
from clinging to the pot. Disturb the roots if they're a tight mass so there
are free ends to grow out into the new mix and repot in the next larger pot.
I don't know many who refer to this as the night blooming cereus, although
the flower is large, opening at night at lasting several days.
I do believe, however, that a person can grow a plant well by its common
name without knowing the technical one. People have done it for many years,
and without ridicule.

Old 17-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Cereoid+10

Don't assume anything. You know what they say about people who assume?

Without an actual description of the plant and its flowers, it could be any
of hundreds of night blooming cactus species in several genera, ranging from
epiphytes, vines, columnar species and even tuberous rooted geophytes.

As I have said before, there is no such plant as "Cereusly peruvianaus". The
plant passing under that name in the horticultural trade is something else.

Old 18-02-2003, 02:10 AM
Vcoerulea

"Cereoid+10" wrote in message
gy.com...
Don't assume anything. You know what they say about people who assume?

I think I'm learning.

Without an actual description of the plant and its flowers, it could be

any
of hundreds of night blooming cactus species in several genera, ranging

from
epiphytes, vines, columnar species and even tuberous rooted geophytes.

Quite correct. However, that's not the point here. The above epiphytes have
general, common requirements as do the terrestrials. If gwayner just wants
help in growing the plant to blooming, that's all he needs to know. You can
call the plant an SOB for all the plant cares about names. There's no reason
on earth a person can't grow a plant without knowing its "real" name. The
general rules I listed earlier will help him grow just about any of the
species fitting the description of night blooming cereus.

As I have said before, there is no such plant as "Cereusly peruvianaus".

The
plant passing under that name in the horticultural trade is something

else.

Again, quite correct. Again, irrelevent.

Old 18-02-2003, 04:59 AM
Cereoid+10

Okay then, taking your lead, all we can say about you Vcoerulea is that you
are nothing more than an idiotic delusional butthole anthropomorphizing
fartwad of a crank yanking twit!!!

Most people who grow plants without knowing anything about what they are or
what they need grow them badly. That's why gwayner has been unable to flower
the plant for 20 years.

You haven't a clue of how to grow the plant and shouldn't be giving out such
lame advice.

Vcoerulea wrote in message

gy.com...

Old 18-02-2003, 10:05 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

As I have said before, there is no such plant as "Cereus peruvianus".
The plant passing under that name in the horticultural trade is something
else.

Again, quite correct. Again, irrelevant.

+ + +
Let's try and keep some perspective here. If the plant known in
horticultural circles as "Cereus peruvianus" is something else entirely then
this is not irrelevant and at best the name should be used between quotes.

On the other hand if this name is well established in horticultural circles
it will be with us for some time to come and any headlong attack on it will
be pointless and fruitless. These things take time, and a consitent policy
of gentle discouragement is the way to go

PvR

Old 18-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Cereoid+10

You seem to be forgetting that this is a botany newsgroup not a butt kissing
newsgroup, Rinkytink.

In many instances, horticulturists are the idiot stepchildren of botany.
Most of what they expound is years out-of-date of botanical knowledge and
often incorrect. Their grasp of plant taxonomy and nomenclature is typically
nil at best. To most of them any name regardless of its validity is good
enough. You should know better.

If you know nothing about the subject your opinion means nothing.

Old 18-02-2003, 02:58 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

It is very easy to use words such as "idiot stepchildren". Actually the
relationship between horticulture and botany is one of long standing and a
fairly complex one. You don't seem to handle complexity very well, do you?
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef

Old 18-02-2003, 03:16 PM
I Don't Like Spam

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:58:01 GMT, "P van Rijckevorsel"
wrote:

It is very easy to use words such as "idiot stepchildren". Actually the
relationship between horticulture and botany is one of long standing and a
fairly complex one. You don't seem to handle complexity very well, do you?
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef
You seem to be forgetting that this is a botany newsgroup not a butt

kissing newsgroup, Rinkytink.

In many instances, horticulturists are the idiot stepchildren of botany.

Most of what they expound is years out-of-date of botanical knowledge and
often incorrect. Their grasp of plant taxonomy and nomenclature is typically
nil at best. To most of them any name regardless of its validity is good
enough. You should know better.

If you know nothing about the subject your opinion means nothing

At least people in horticultural fields will get their hands dirty and
actually DO something, and try to HELP people, rather than calling
names. If horticultural "knowledge" is years out of date, it is
because the taxonomists and nomenclaturists keep changing their minds
about classifications and names. Scientific names engraved in stone
and never changing? HOGWASH! Scientific knowledge an ultimate truth?
NO WAY! Both horticulture and botany are a process of refining
understanding; neither is perfect, nor are their practitioners.
Old 18-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Vcoerulea wrote:

"Cereoid+10" wrote in message
igy.com...

Quite correct. However, that's not the point here. The above epiphytes have
general, common requirements as do the terrestrials. If gwayner just wants
help in growing the plant to blooming, that's all he needs to know. You can
call the plant an SOB for all the plant cares about names. There's no reason
on earth a person can't grow a plant without knowing its "real" name. The
general rules I listed earlier will help him grow just about any of the
species fitting the description of night blooming cereus.

Just ignore "Cereoid". Most of us do. About 95% of his posts are
efforts to 'prove' how superior he is by insulting other people in
childish ways, like making fun of their names, while he conceals his
own.

Thanks for the interesting and knowledgable information about growing
this group of epiphytic cacti. One thing you've left out is
information on your climate, and where you grow the plants - house,
greenhouse, or outdoors.

I've grown Epiphyllum oxypetalum a couple of times from cuttings, but
it's always gotten too big before it bloomed, so I've had to give it
away. I had an Epiphyllum 'Ackermanni' for some years which bloomed
spectacularly indoors in April-May every year if I put it outdoors for
a few months in the summer. I finally had to give that one away too,
because it was taking too much of my limited window space. I'm in
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

At any rate I wonder if one reason the original poster is having
trouble getting his plant to bloom is for lack of sufficient intense
light. Even if it's been in the same window all this time, 20 years is
enough for trees to grow big enough to obstruct light, etc. He might
consider putting it outdoors in warm weather, very gradually exposing
it to sunlight to prevent burning, and if he's in a very sunny climate,
keeping it in partial shade all the time it's out. I put my epiphytes
where they get sun from about 2pm on, and it's often cloudy or hazy
here in summer.

question for Cereus madgardener Gardening 2 01-11-2005 12:17 AM
Question for Cereus Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 04-09-2004 02:40 PM
Cereus-Validus is an offensive troll escapee Gardening 23 15-04-2004 09:02 PM
Cereus question gwayner Plant Science 17 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Not Cereus peruvianus jc Gardening 1 20-02-2003 03:15 AM