GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Insulin Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/81444-insulin-plant.html)

Shaji 08-08-2004 01:50 PM

Insulin Plant

Dear Friends,

A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have
healing power of Diabetes Mellitus. Could any one tell me more details
about this?

Thank in advance,

Shaji

Iris Cohen 08-08-2004 02:07 PM

Insulin Plant

A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing
power of Diabetes Mellitus. Could any one tell me more details about this?

If you do a Google search on Costus and Diabetes, you will find numerous
references. Apparently, extracts of some Costus species tend to lower blood
sugar and perhaps reduce a craving for sweets. This might be useful for
Diabetes type II. However, there is no cure for Diabetes, especially Type I,
and there is no substitute for insulin, which is an animal product or
synthetic, and cannot be ingested orally.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Cereus-validus 08-08-2004 03:09 PM

Insulin Plant

Apparently ingesting the juice from Opuntia pads and cinnamon can also lower
blood sugar but as you say none of these are a substitute for insulin.

A google search will reveal more info.

hrbsteve 13-05-2005 07:03 AM

[quote=Iris Cohen] A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing
power of Diabetes Mellitus.
Dear freinds,
Costus igneus is wonder herb,it realy helpful for diabetic patients,
it reduces the blood sugar level in the body.
its my personel experience.
thank u

[quote]

devadoss 04-10-2009 10:40 AM

[quote=Rbtll;643875]Yes, there is a tea derived from the Insulin Plant. It is called InsulinTea and I have been taking the tea very successfully. You may find it at www.insulintea.com. The website has a lot of information on the herbs and scientific studies. Hope this information is helpfull.

[quote=hrbsteve]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iris Cohen
A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing
power of Diabetes Mellitus.
Dear freinds,
Costus igneus is wonder herb,it realy helpful for diabetic patients,
it reduces the blood sugar level in the body.
its my personel experience.
thank u

Hi! I want to know how big an insulin plant grows, how long it lives and how we can market the plant products commercially. I am a diabetic who wants to use the plant leaves personally and share the benefits of this plant with others. Can some one help with details of cultivation of insulin plants in India?
devadoss.

atropica 14-01-2010 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by devadoss (Post 866226)
Hi! I want to know how big an insulin plant grows, how long it lives and how we can market the plant products commercially. I am a diabetic who wants to use the plant leaves personally and share the benefits of this plant with others. Can some one help with details of cultivation of insulin plants in India?
devadoss.

The name Costus igneus is now obsolete although sometimes still used in the trade. The new name is Chamaecostus cuspidatus and it makes a very good potted conservatory plant as the stems only grow to 60cm and it readily flowers if kept above 10C.