Old 21-08-2005, 04:44 PM
JP

Default Filling in the Garden Pond

I'm going to fill in my 3,000 gl pond. I wondered if anyone has got any tips
for this.
I'm going to be renting my house out shortly and don't want any potential
tennants being put off by the pond.
Plus it's a lot of effort feeding fish, cleaning filter, cutting back plants
etc etc
I'd like a solution that is cheap and might one day be reversible.

At the moment I've thinking to keep the pond liner, get some non rottable
plastic bags, and fill these with sand bought in bulk from local building
merchants. Put these in the empty pond and top if off with topsoil for a
plant bed, not sure if it would be a dry bed or a bog garden.

Any other ideas or tips?
Thanks

Old 21-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
I'd like a solution that is cheap and might one day be reversible.
Why not fill it with builders sand and use block pavers on top? They'd be removable if you wanted your pond back. Alternatively, leave the water in it and fit some timber decking over it to disguise it. If screwed togather instead of nailed it would be very easy to remove at a later date and reused elsewhere in the garden.

Bill.
Old 22-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Mark Watson

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:44:16 +0100, "JP" wrote:

I'm going to fill in my 3,000 gl pond. I wondered if anyone has got any tips
for this.
Any other ideas or tips?
Thanks

Why not just fix a stout wire grid over the pond to make if safe, take
otu the pump, and leave the tenants with a box of fish food? My pond
doesn't have a pump, and I found fish in there with the pond having
been neglected by the previous owners of the house who had been thre
two years.

(If you're nr Essex and looking to re-home some fish, get in touch)

Old 22-08-2005, 07:05 PM
JP

"JP" wrote in message
I'm going to fill in my 3,000 gl pond. I wondered if anyone has got any
tips for this.
I'm going to be renting my house out shortly and don't want any potential
tennants being put off by the pond.
Plus it's a lot of effort feeding fish, cleaning filter, cutting back
plants etc etc
I'd like a solution that is cheap and might one day be reversible.

At the moment I've thinking to keep the pond liner, get some non rottable
plastic bags, and fill these with sand bought in bulk from local building
merchants. Put these in the empty pond and top if off with topsoil for a
plant bed, not sure if it would be a dry bed or a bog garden.

Any other ideas or tips?
Thanks

Thanks to all for their help.

Old 28-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Rick

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:44:16 +0100, "JP" wrote:

I'm going to fill in my 3,000 gl pond. I wondered if anyone has got any tips
for this.
I'm going to be renting my house out shortly and don't want any potential
tennants being put off by the pond.
Plus it's a lot of effort feeding fish, cleaning filter, cutting back plants
etc etc
I'd like a solution that is cheap and might one day be reversible.

At the moment I've thinking to keep the pond liner, get some non rottable
plastic bags, and fill these with sand bought in bulk from local building
merchants. Put these in the empty pond and top if off with topsoil for a
plant bed, not sure if it would be a dry bed or a bog garden.

Any other ideas or tips?
Thanks

Remove pond liner, fill with soil.

Rick

pond filling in! D Kat Ponds (moderated) 6 13-07-2008 02:58 AM
Filling in a garden pond Cheryl United Kingdom 48 12-07-2006 12:10 PM
filling a pond Cheryl Ponds 8 08-06-2006 06:55 AM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP United Kingdom 4 28-08-2005 05:05 PM
Filling in pond Pia United Kingdom 13 08-01-2003 08:23 PM