Old 24-08-2005, 12:27 PM
V.V.

Default New Koi Behavior

I've got six koi, aprox 2-3 inches long. In the tank at the nursery where I
purchased them, they were all pretty used to people. I've had them here for
over a week and they continue to hide or race around the tank when I
approach. Can anyone tell me how long it takes them to warm up to you and
also, is there anything I can be doing to help tame them?

Thanks

Vince

Old 24-08-2005, 02:23 PM
George

"V.V." wrote in message
I've got six koi, aprox 2-3 inches long. In the tank at the nursery
where I purchased them, they were all pretty used to people. I've had
them here for over a week and they continue to hide or race around the
tank when I approach. Can anyone tell me how long it takes them to warm
up to you and also, is there anything I can be doing to help tame them?

Thanks

Vince

More than a week, in most cases.

Old 24-08-2005, 07:44 PM
V.V.

Thanks George. I figured that might be the case. Maybe people can share
their experiences with how their koi became more used to them?

Old 24-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Elaine T

V.V. wrote:
Thanks George. I figured that might be the case. Maybe people can share
their experiences with how their koi became more used to them?

My two koi were shy for almost two months. There was a cat drinking
from the pond for a while, so I think that was part of the problem. I
didn't do anything special to tame them. They seem to have figured out
that the tall, pinkish two-legs usually brings food and the scary little
black-and-white four-legs doesn't. They don't hide from me anymore and
as soon as the surface of the water is disturbed, they're up looking for
food.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 25-08-2005, 12:49 AM
George

"V.V." wrote in message
news
Thanks George. I figured that might be the case. Maybe people can share
their experiences with how their koi became more used to them?

Basically, you spent time with them, and don't make sudden movements or
loud noises. Get them use to you being around the pond. When you spend
time with them, give them some treats, but by all means don't over-do it.
In essence, when you feed them, don't just throw food in the pond and walk
away. Spend some time with them before you feed them, then spend some time
with them after they've finished eating. Another trick is to release new
fish into the pond with established fish. The new fish will work their way
into the pecking order, and pick up habits from the more established fish,
and take cues from them. Once you have a few fish that are used to you,
new ones will come around more quickly. I've placed new fish into my pond
full of established fish that took to me almost immediately. But then, most
animals are that way with me. I guess I have the touch. But also remember
that the pond is theirs, not yours. It is their home, so you must learn to
respect that fact.

Georgeblushing with piety

Old 25-08-2005, 04:35 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:44:55 -0400, "V.V." wrote:

Thanks George. I figured that might be the case. Maybe people can share
their experiences with how their koi became more used to them?

You might want to check your water quality parameters. Off water can cause
them to be skittish. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

New fish behavior chereena Ponds 11 17-04-2007 05:11 PM
New Koi Behavior V.V. Ponds 5 25-08-2005 04:35 AM
Odd Koi Behavior questoin Carl Beyer Ponds 3 15-07-2003 01:02 AM
Greg/jan/others - H2O Hardness indicated, help was Strange Koi behavior, now dead. K30a Ponds 1 18-05-2003 07:44 AM
Strange Koi Behavior itten Ponds 13 17-05-2003 03:56 AM