Old 24-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Going by what I have seen in my wildlife pond some UK frog tadpoles over winter as tadpoles and "morph" the following spring. I assume this gives them a head start on some of next years crop.
Old 14-08-2006, 04:05 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Default Tadpoles not growing into frogs

sandra2 wrote:
Ok Sean, but why don't I see little frogs in the spring then? I never
get to see little frogs, watch them grow into adulthood, go to school,
get married, have tadpoles of their own. Am I going mad ha ha he he.
Sandra

Well a possibly foolprtoof way is to bring some spawn indoors into a tank.

Feed them (small bits of lettuce, raw meat or raw fish, but not too much
or the tank gets rancid). They must have some land in the tank and be
transferred to the garden pond the minute they are technically frogs (as
soon as the front legs are there and the tail begins to disappear). This
last stage can be very quick and if they escape into the house they will
die a horrible death drying up or being played with by the cat.

Due to the warmth of the house as opposed to the garden, they will turn
into frogs much more quickly this way so stand a good chance of building
up in size before the winter.

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk
***********
Old 30-08-2006, 09:16 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

I collected a long string of eggs once and put them in my pond. But I
didn't realize they were toad tadpoles eggs. All hatched out fine, grew
legs, sat for a day on the lily pads and disappeared. I blamed the jays but
could be that toads don't stay in water areas but head for the woods.....

"amanda" wrote in message

Tadpoles not growing legs stella @ stejonda United Kingdom 14 21-05-2006 10:46 AM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
Cicadas, Frogs and Gigantic Tadpoles Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 15-06-2004 04:05 AM
Tadpoles and Frogs/Toads MLF Ponds 3 09-06-2003 01:44 AM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM