Old 09-07-2006, 02:41 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Default DUCK WEED - How do I Remove IT?

Duck Weed - How do I get rid?

I must confess I have done a very, very stupid thing - Firstly I
purchased a pond plant at a car boot sale - but worse than that I
actually put it in my pond!!

I now have DUCK WEED please help is there any way I can get rid off it
other than removing everything and hosing it down before putting it
back into my pond? And even if I did wash it all out and hose
everything down would this actually work??

My pond is 3 years old and build solely for frogs, newts and toads and
doing very well - it has lilies and other oxygenating plants in it
(And ******** Duck Weed)

I cannot even scoop out the Duck weed as its full of baby newts and
tads - please help as it is spoiling my dream pond.

I know to remove Blanket weed you can just tie up some Barley Straw and
drop it in the pond and this does the trick, but duck weed?

Any Advice would be much appreciated.........

Thank you

Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Nick Byford

I have never found the barley straw method particularly good for blanket
weed. I have plenty of canadian pond weed in our pond and this seems to
keep the blanket weed down pretty well, I wonder whether it would work for
duckweed too?

If you simply pull out the duck weed and leave it at the side of the pond
for a while, the newts will find their own way back. The tads, well, they
are produced in such large numbers that a few won't be missed. We actually
go through what weedage we get and hoyk them out and they don't ever seem to
be too much the worse for wear, as we have to do in our filter box too.
Judging by the number of frogs and newts we have in our pond, we can't be
going far wrong.

There are products on the market that will get rid of these things and won't
harm the aquatic animals in the pond. There are also concoctions you can
purchase for adding to the pond when new plants or fish/other aquatic bits
and bobs are added - specifically for this, as a pond develops its own
eco-system as it matures and the introduction of new plants and or fish or
other aquatic life can bring their own nasties that yous may not be able to
cope with.

So don't fret, it's not the end of the pond, just a minor setback that with
a little cash and tlc, should be back to normal in no time!

Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 10:22 PM
Duck, duck, goose! Monique Reed Edible Gardening 1 23-10-2003 03:22 AM
My Duck Weed Farm BenignVanilla Ponds 1 03-07-2003 05:08 AM
Duck weed. Anna Vaca Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:20 AM
Duck Weed Paul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:08 AM