Old 07-10-2006, 01:22 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Default Railroad Ties

I built my water garden with raiload ties stacked 3 high with a liner. I
was wondering if the creosote in the ties would leech into the pond when it
rained. I built one of these a few years ago and had some problems with my
koi dying. I don't know if it was a result of the ties or not. When I
noticed the fish dying. I added some shelves that I laid on the top of the
stacked wood. This would keep some of the rain water from entering the
water. Shoiuld I be concerned with this arrangement before I start adding
fish?

Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

itten wrote:
I built my water garden with raiload ties stacked 3 high with a liner. I
was wondering if the creosote in the ties would leech into the pond when it
rained. I built one of these a few years ago and had some problems with my
koi dying. I don't know if it was a result of the ties or not. When I
noticed the fish dying. I added some shelves that I laid on the top of the
stacked wood. This would keep some of the rain water from entering the
water. Shoiuld I be concerned with this arrangement before I start adding
fish?

I presume railroad Ties are what we call sleepers in the UK.

Creosote is nasty and might get into the water, especially in hot
weather. To be safe(r) you could make sure the liner covers the top and
down the outside a bit.

BTW it's possible to get untreated sleepers as well, if they are redwood
sleepers they are very often not impregnated with creosote. You can also
buy new ones that are untreated, but not as attractive as old weathered
sleepers.

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk
On-line saxophone exercises,jazz theory, Saxophone Instruction DVD.

Donations: http://www.justgiving.com/petethomas

Discussion forum, free stuff and discounts - www.breakfastroom.co.uk

Contact via the Breakfast Room

Free railroad ties? Mike Harris Texas 6 20-04-2006 07:25 PM
Railroad Ties for Landscaping James Black Gardening 13 02-06-2005 05:16 AM
Old railroad ties needed Jason Jones North Carolina 3 09-06-2004 07:07 PM
How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties James Eick Gardening 5 22-05-2003 08:56 PM
where can one buy new or used railroad ties MFA North Carolina 8 13-05-2003 03:56 AM