Soil for pond plants?

Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Postcards

Default Soil for pond plants?

What sort of soil should I use for repotting pond plants? Is ordinary
potting soil ok?

Old 08-09-2003, 10:32 AM
groovy

"Postcards" wrote in message
. ca...
What sort of soil should I use for repotting pond plants? Is ordinary
potting soil ok?

Just about anything has been used successfully. Sand, gravel, cat litter,
cow dung, clay, and mixtures of the above. I use some of my sandy
gravelly soil with some plant food spikes buried in there where the
phosphorous can't leech out and cause green water problems.

Remember, if the compost is too light or dry it will float away.

Old 08-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Jerrispond

Just about anything has been used successfully. Sand, gravel, cat litter,
cow dung, clay, and mixtures of the above. I use some of my sandy
gravelly soil with some plant food spikes buried in there where the
phosphorous can't leech out and cause green water problems.

all of the above are ok.....potting soil is NOT OK It is too light and will
float qway....Make sure if using cat litter it is NOT the clumping kind and
that it is well rinsed.....I personally pot in 1-2 inch gravel, and let the
fish fertilize them Jerri

Old 09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Jim

What sort of soil should I use for repotting pond plants?

I use pea gravel.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248
Old 10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Simon Avery

Postcards wrote:

Hello Postcards

P What sort of soil should I use for repotting pond plants? Is
P ordinary potting soil ok?

Any normal soil, ime. Compost, humous and nutrient-rich soil is
discouraged because it can promote algae bloom in the water.

It's a tradeoff, basically. You want soil good enough for the plant to
thrive, but not so rich it spoils the surrounding pond. Different
plants may require different soils, but generally I've found generic
topsoil is about right.

Garden centres sometimes sell specific water plant soil, but that's
just normal soil that's been washed clean of nutrients and is very
expensive.

And top off with any gravel or grit.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK http://www.digdilem.org/

Old 25-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Its true that some pond plant need more minerals and special bacterias to grow better. For them you can use pond soil or sea soil other then you can re-pot then normally.
Pond Kits
Old 15-05-2011, 01:54 PM
kathateria's Avatar

Originally Posted by thomasscam View Post
Its true that some pond plant need more minerals and special bacterias to grow better. For them you can use pond soil or sea soil other then you can re-pot then normally.
I used aquatic compost,and wish I hadnt.The water went green.
I scooped it out,changed 50% of the water and replaced the compost with gravel. Its clear now.