GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Pond depth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/43331-pond-depth.html)

A Davis 17-09-2003 11:42 PM

Pond depth

Hello All

My pond is 5 feet in diameter, with a maximum depth of 22 inches.
This seemed to be the sort of size indicated on my pond liner instructions.

However, I recently read that a pond of depth less than 3 feet is
insufficient for fish to survive the Winter when the Pond freezes.

The pond was created this year, it contains 6 goldfish.
Please could anyone advise?

Regards Al.

Gregory Young 18-09-2003 12:02 AM

Pond depth

Hi Al:
It depends on where you live.
What zone/location are you in
Happy ponding,
Greg

A Davis 18-09-2003 04:42 PM

Pond depth

Gregory Young wrote:-
What zone/location are you in

Somerset, England.

Regards Al

diamond 18-09-2003 07:32 PM

Pond depth

"A Davis" wrote in message
Gregory Young wrote:-
What zone/location are you in

Somerset, England.

Regards Al

Should be ok, we don't usually get harsh winters down here.

I'm in Somerset too!

A Davis 19-09-2003 10:23 PM

Pond depth

diamond wrote:-
Should be ok I'm in Somerset too!
I've recently moved to Bridgwater.

Yes, hopefully the fish will survive, but I had considered covering the Pond
when it's frosty.
Perhaps this would be unnecessary.

Regards Al.

thomasscam 25-04-2011 05:49 PM

I know you can't change the depth of pond as its build a year ago. But You can do one thing, you can plant some plants which can give worming in your pond to fishes.