Old 16-03-2005, 08:08 PM
rockinghfarm

Default Beaver pond/water garden

Hello,
I am new to this list and hope I am in the right place.

We have a 40 acre horse farm which has a beaver pond (for about the
last 14 years). The pond has grown over time to be about 5 acres with
the dam filling a gully past our backyard. It contains various wild
fish, frogs, turtles and brings in deer and wolf and many varieties of
birds. This is all very lovely but I would like to have water plants
in the beaver pond. This has proved to be frustrated by the beaver
family who find the pots and deposit them on the dam (even when pots
are anchored.

I have been trying different ways of keeping water plants in the pond
for two years (below the pond the overflow is a swampy creek so won't
work for waterlillies - too shallow). Last year I tried tying the pots
to long pieces of twine, tossing them into the pond and using the twine
to pull them back off the dam in the morning after the beavers were
busy moving them. Well, this sort of worked but not good enough to get
any blooms from the poor waterlilies.

Spring is slowing approaching the Keweenaw (still iced over on the
pond) and I am trying to think of another way to enjoy water plants
with this pond - without harming the beavers who are a delight to watch
other than this waterlily thing. I am wondering if I pipe water through
the dam (with a filter on it to keep out muck I think) to a series of
barrels below the dam - could that work for water lilies and such?
There would necessarily be an overflow from the barrels which I think I
could regulate by the pipe height in the dammed up water and the barrel
height below. I am wondering if water movement through the barrels
would cause a problem for the plants...? Thank you for any ideas on
this!

--
rockinghfarm

McCulloch 285 BCS Eager Beaver string trimmer diagram? Jim Desrosiers Lawns 2 01-07-2005 02:48 AM
Crepe Myrtle and a beaver...dam Beth Peace North Carolina 3 09-04-2005 12:50 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mchiper Lawns 0 01-09-2003 11:22 PM
Beaver ------- Kate ...... Gardening 9 26-08-2003 04:12 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mone [email protected] Lawns 0 24-08-2003 11:43 AM