Old 15-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands
Default Sand hoppers as alternative to brine shrimp?

This may be a daft question but I'm new to this pond lark. I've heard of feeding goldfish with brine shrimp, a small crustacean. So I read up on them. They are about the size of a sand hopper (also a small crustacean). Where I live there are no aquatic dealers and I would have to buy brine shrimp by mail order. Sand hoppers are plentiful and easy to catch by sinking a bucket into a local shingle beach with a lamp in it at night. I just wondered if there was any reason I shouldn't try a few as feed for my fish? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Old 17-07-2005, 04:41 AM
Cracklin'

"billfish" wrote in message

This may be a daft question but I'm new to this pond lark. I've heard of
feeding goldfish with brine shrimp, a small crustacean. So I read up on
them. They are about the size of a sand hopper (also a small
crustacean). Where I live there are no aquatic dealers and I would have
to buy brine shrimp by mail order. Sand hoppers are plentiful and easy
to catch by sinking a bucket into a local shingle beach with a lamp in
it at night. I just wondered if there was any reason I shouldn't try a
few as feed for my fish? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

===================
Goldfish can live very well without brineshrimp. Why not try the
sand-hoppers and see if they'll eat them?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 18-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracklin'
===================
Goldfish can live very well without brineshrimp. Why not try the
sand-hoppers and see if they'll eat them
Thanks, I think I will try a few as a change from the "food sticks" now and then.

Bill.
Old 18-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracklin'
===================
Goldfish can live very well without brineshrimp. Why not try the
sand-hoppers and see if they'll eat them
Thanks, I think I will try a few as a change from the "food sticks" now and then. I'll post again and let folks know whether the fish like them.

Bill.
Old 23-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish
Thanks, I think I will try a few as a change from the "food sticks" now and then. I'll post again and let folks know whether the fish like them.

Bill.
I managed to catch a few very small (about 5mm) sandhoppers this afternoon (the decent-sized ones don't come out till after dark). I threw them in the pond to see if the fish would eat them. Some swam and escaped, the rest were devoured very quickly by my 4 newly introduced golden orfe. The orfe are very active feeders, so the goldfish didn't get a chance to try them. I think I'll go tonight and get some of the bigger ones in a metal pot (with a lid so they can't jump out) and try drying/cooking them so they don't escape and will hopefully float so I can "target feed" them to the goldfish as well. I'll post again following that experiment.

Bill.

adventure with brine shrimp kathy[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 8 28-06-2008 02:30 AM
Lawn Pests: Leaf Hoppers jhultman Gardening 0 22-07-2003 02:32 PM
Leaf Hoppers Rusty Mase Texas 1 17-06-2003 01:30 AM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Getting Ahead of the 'Hoppers Marcesent Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:08 AM