A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Water gardening discussions » Ponds (moderated)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Safe paint for concrete block pond?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13-05-2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

For several months now I've been working on a small koi pond for the
back yard. The shell is formed out of concrete block sitting on a 6"
thick concrete slab. Total capacity of the pond will be about 1300
gallons with a small waterfall at one end and a skimmer at the other.

The concrete block work is now done and I'm turning my attention to
painting. Knowing that concrete block is porous, and will raise the
alkalinity of the water, I need to find a good paint to cover
everything with. My first thought is to use swimming pool paint as it
is designed for constant water exposure.

Has anyone had any experience with the "Smart Seal" line of paints
(http://www.smartsealco.com/pool/)? They have epoxy, acrylic enamel,
and synthetic rubber products. This brand caught my attention because
it is carried by a local vendor.

I contacted the company via e-mail to ask if their paint is approved
for fish pond use. Their reply was that it is not approved for fish,
but that they have heard of people using it. My guess is that they
have just never gone through any type of formal testing for that sort
of application. Still, considering that a swimming pool has people in
it, you wouldn't think the paint would be allowed to leech toxic
chemicals.

Has anyone used this or another brand of pool paint in a koi pond? If
this is not a good idea, I'd really like to hear of some alternative
coatings which I can get in the Eastern US.

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if you also read this on rec.ponds, but I was recommended
to repost here do to users fleeing the unmoderated group.

Ads
  #2  
Old 13-05-2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 880
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

Hi Delbert,

Welcome to rpm. I hope there will be some ponders who can offer you
some help on painting your blocks or who can encourage you as you
launch other aspects of your pond.

Phyllis and I have a cement pond with dense cement and thich walls, so
we did not need to seal it. At the bottom of our pond, however, we
have an old septic tank. It needed to be sealed with a coat of poly/
fiber cement to close it up (10 years ago). Hard to do back then, but
sealed ever since.

Good luck with the grand venture.

Jim

  #3  
Old 13-05-2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,503
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

On Sun, 13 May 2007 07:08:48 CST, Delbert wrote:

For several months now I've been working on a small koi pond for the
back yard. The shell is formed out of concrete block sitting on a 6"
thick concrete slab. Total capacity of the pond will be about 1300
gallons with a small waterfall at one end and a skimmer at the other.

The concrete block work is now done and I'm turning my attention to
painting. Knowing that concrete block is porous, and will raise the
alkalinity of the water, I need to find a good paint to cover
everything with. My first thought is to use swimming pool paint as it
is designed for constant water exposure.

Has anyone had any experience with the "Smart Seal" line of paints
(http://www.smartsealco.com/pool/)? They have epoxy, acrylic enamel,
and synthetic rubber products. This brand caught my attention because
it is carried by a local vendor.


Epoxy is the one I'm familiar to hearing other fish ponders use locally.
Hopefully you will get those with personal experience to follow up.

P.S. Sorry if you also read this on rec.ponds, but I was recommended
to repost here do to users fleeing the unmoderated group.


In droves, I don't even read RP any more. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

  #4  
Old 13-05-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 89
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?


Hey Delbert!

Welcome to RPM :-))

Looks like you got some good information on
RP.
I'll be really interested to hear how your pond comes
along. Someday this is the type of pond we are
looking to build. We figure it would be a good option
to put a grate across for grandchild proofing.
Looking forward to progress reports!

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

  #5  
Old 14-05-2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 880
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

Delbert,

How have you anchored your blocks to prevent motion?

Jim

  #6  
Old 14-05-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

On May 13, 7:19 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:

How have you anchored your blocks to prevent motion?


That was actually a major mistake of mine. I should have had vertical
rebar into the slab, but I didn't have it put in when the slab was
wet. The only thing I could do afterward was to core fill the blocks
with concrete in the hope of making them heavy enough to resist
motion. As the pond is only 4 block deep (2' 8"), I'll hope for the
best.

  #7  
Old 14-05-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 880
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

Did you run rebar through the blocks?

I am concerned for you that even a little motion will produce cracks
and leaks. Especially that will be a risk if there are sharp corners.
You may find that you would do best if you put a flexible liner that
would not care about motion. It woulkd cost more than paint, but
would not leak! Have you a bottom drain to wrestle with.

Jim

  #8  
Old 14-05-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

On May 13, 9:19 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Did you run rebar through the blocks?

I am concerned for you that even a little motion will produce cracks
and leaks. Especially that will be a risk if there are sharp corners.
You may find that you would do best if you put a flexible liner that
would not care about motion. It woulkd cost more than paint, but
would not leak! Have you a bottom drain to wrestle with.


There is rebar in several vertical runs of blocks (corners and about
every 4') as well as cross rebar wherever there are three sections of
block coming together (around the skimmer, waterfall, etc).

I'm leaning towards the rubberized materials for coating the inside.
This should have some give. Also, the block is 8" thick variety which
should have less give than 6" or 4" which some may be tempted to use.
All in all, this pond is built like a bunker.

Once the project is done I plan to put up a website detailing the
construction. I started over a year ago building a shed to hold the
pump and filter. Block work on the pond itself started during the
winter (which was unusually warm). This has been a LONG project.

  #9  
Old 14-05-2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Hi Delbert,

Welcome to rpm. I hope there will be some ponders who can offer you
some help on painting your blocks or who can encourage you as you
launch other aspects of your pond.

Phyllis and I have a cement pond with dense cement and thich walls, so
we did not need to seal it. At the bottom of our pond, however, we
have an old septic tank. It needed to be sealed with a coat of poly/
fiber cement to close it up (10 years ago). Hard to do back then, but
sealed ever since.

Good luck with the grand venture.

Jim


I had a bad experience a few years ago with building a small cement pond.
Dried cement ended up being toxic for fish. Probably the alkalinity of
the cement. Wished I had had the resources of experienced ponders then.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"

  #10  
Old 14-05-2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 880
Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

Glad to hear about the rebar! I appreciate as well how long it takes
to do such a project.

If it holds, great. If not, you can always line it.

Good luck!

We will look forward to seeing the pics.

Jim

 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.