Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Topping off the pond

On Jul 12, 10:57 am, wrote:
well here in Milwaukee the questionability of the drinking water is
always a damn fine reason to drink beer.......................

But do the fish swim well in the beer?

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:35:19 CST, Derek Broughton

Could be, but I don't have a clue how harmful THMs might be to fish, and how
much would be created from any given amount of chlorinated water. THMs
seem to be the latest trend in drinking water supply scares, but even for
people they're talking about long-term toxicity, not short term.

Old 19-07-2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I just add city water with a sprinkler. I have done this for 20 years with no adverse affects. The less chemicals the better. Take care.

"Goldlexus" wrote in message news:7dtji.16$CJ4.10@trndny08...
We just use a hose and put de-clor. in at the same time. We top off about
once or twice a week depending on temps. Plus we may have a bit of a leak
somewhere. Anyway, we have koi and goldfish, with topping off a couple times
a week with the hose and de-clor. has not affected the water quality or the
fish. Pond is clear, fish are happy, pond is full

"Me" wrote in message
ups.com...
The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way. Can I put the hose in the pond and pour the
water conditioner in all at the same time or do I need to put the
water and conditioner in something separate (a trash can?), let it sit
for a little while and then pour it into the pond?

Old 19-07-2007, 05:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Me" wrote in message

The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way.

I have a 1/2" "water leveler" that slowly, but automatically, puts in
city water to compensate for evaporation which is truly significant
(4-5" drop in water level/day) here in VERY hot sunny AZ. When I
finally convert the pool into a pond, how do I figure out how much to
de-clor and when? I certainly don't want to wait for symptoms from my
fish. Will slowly adding the city water to the large stabilized 18000
gal pond be an insignificant addition?

BTW, our city water is so hard and full of 'stuff" that it is just short
of toxic. The Lime-Away gets used a lot to clean off the scum. And I
developed kidney stones.

Chip

Old 19-07-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chip" wrote in message ...

I have a 1/2" "water leveler" that slowly, but automatically, puts in city
water to compensate for evaporation which is truly significant (4-5" drop
in water level/day) here in VERY hot sunny AZ. When I finally convert the
pool into a pond, how do I figure out how much to de-clor and when? I
certainly don't want to wait for symptoms from my fish. Will slowly adding
the city water to the large stabilized 18000 gal pond be an insignificant
addition?

Chip

If you are adding that much water per day, then you need to find a way to
dechlor the water. The best way would be a carbon filter. It would be
advisable to have two carbon filters in series and test the water
periodically between the first and second to see when the filter has been
spent. There are chemical metering pumps that would allow you to introduce
a very small quantity of dechlor to the water as the flow is going to the
pond.

Old 19-07-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Me" wrote in message

The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way.

I have a 1/2" "water leveler" that slowly, but automatically, puts in
city water to compensate for evaporation which is truly significant
(4-5" drop in water level/day) here in VERY hot sunny AZ. When I
finally convert the pool into a pond, how do I figure out how much to
de-clor and when? I certainly don't want to wait for symptoms from my
fish. Will slowly adding the city water to the large stabilized 18000
gal pond be an insignificant addition?

BTW, our city water is so hard and full of 'stuff" that it is just short
of toxic. The Lime-Away gets used a lot to clean off the scum. And I
developed kidney stones.

Chip

I've attached a meter to my hose end and figure the volume from that. When
you know the gallons you just add that much dechlor.

I disconnected my "auto fill" last year. It broke and I didn't realize it.
Fortunately, I have a large pond and the filler wasn't spraying water, just
a steady drip. Now I always do it by hand.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered User

My 800+ gal pond acccidently got drained to almost 1 ft of water a couple weeks ago. Stuck the hose in and filled it, and added a few 5 gallon buckets of mixed de-chlor and tap water every so often during the filling. Fish are fine, and seemed more lively after the water change.
Pond Kits

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Topping off pond Newbie Bill Ponds 4 21-12-2004 07:48 AM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 9 21-09-2004 12:30 PM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 10:10 PM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 10:10 PM
Topping off pond question claude rogers Ponds 27 04-06-2003 08:56 PM