A berm pond - what's that?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default A berm pond - what's that?

Hi all..

Heard the above-mentioned term "berm pond" in TFA. I
wondered and asked what it might be - but unfortunately I
got no answer..!

Well I'm familiar with the Old Saxon language and there's an
old word called "berm", too.

But I'm afraid it might have a different meaning..

So what's a berm pond..?

Any descriptions and pics are welcome..!

Thanks in advance..!
--
cu
Marco

Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi all..

Heard the above-mentioned term "berm pond" in TFA. I
wondered and asked what it might be - but unfortunately I
got no answer..!

Well I'm familiar with the Old Saxon language and there's an
old word called "berm", too.

But I'm afraid it might have a different meaning..

So what's a berm pond..?

Any descriptions and pics are welcome..!

Thanks in advance..!

===========================
A berm pond? The berm is the edge of a pond where the liner comes over the
soil. Most people put a rock necklace along the berm to hide the liner edge.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi all..

Heard the above-mentioned term "berm pond" in TFA. I
wondered and asked what it might be - but unfortunately I
got no answer..!

A berm pond is one where you've built up the soil around it, works well to
stop run off. Also means less digging and hauling away of dirt, as you put
the dirt around the edge, building up as you dig down.

Kathy has a berm pond, perhaps she has a picture showing the berm, how the
sides are still soil, but above the level of the rest of the yard. Some
areas she rocked, others she ran the grass over the top and down to the
water level. Thus the kiddos could lay on the grass and watch the watery
world. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-08-2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Marco,

It may have been in one of my posts that you heard the term 'berm
pond'. I am sorry not to have responded. I missed your query.

We have a 4' berm (dirt hill) at the end of our main pond. It is
about 25' long. On it we have a variety of veggie filters (small
ponds with a million plants that grab nutrients (fish waste)) and
provide surface for bacteria to handle the nitrites and to allow for
settlement of solids. There are three 55 gal barrels embedded, two 4'
x' 8' ponds and a 4' x 4' pond. The returns are via waterfalls and
streams. The water slowly moves through them as our filtrtation
system. You can see the layout on our pondsite...

home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley

Jim

Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our berm
http://tinyurl.com/32yloj

k :-)
se washington state
zone 7a

Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Marco,

It may have been in one of my posts that you heard the term 'berm
pond'. I am sorry not to have responded. I missed your query.

We have a 4' berm (dirt hill) at the end of our main pond. It is
about 25' long. On it we have a variety of veggie filters (small
ponds with a million plants that grab nutrients (fish waste)) and
provide surface for bacteria to handle the nitrites and to allow for
settlement of solids. There are three 55 gal barrels embedded, two 4'
x' 8' ponds and a 4' x 4' pond. The returns are via waterfalls and
streams. The water slowly moves through them as our filtrtation
system. You can see the layout on our pondsite...

home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley

============================
One of my ponds is a berm pond and I didn't even know it. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Phyllis and Jim..

home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley

Thanks. Well enjoyed your pond site very much.
And it's a real *berm* pond - even in Old Saxon
tradition..! :-)
--
cu
Marco

Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF

"Marco Schwarz" wrote
Heard the above-mentioned term "berm pond" in TFA. I
wondered and asked what it might be - but unfortunately I
got no answer..!

Most commercial fish ponds are "berm" style ponds. Basically, you dig out
the pond and pile the dirt around it in a high continuous heap all around
the pond. The heap is the berm, also called a levee. The advantage of this
type of arrangement is that you don't have to haul the dirt away,
potentially contaminated ground water is prevented from draining into the
pond during heavy rains, and the berms, if flattened on top, can be used as
an access road to get around.

A good, but simple explanation can be found in the "Catfish Farmers'
Handbook" at http://aqua.ucdavis.edu/dbweb/outreach/aqua/1549MIS.PDF .

"Berm" style ponds are common in the southern Louisiana area, where
everything is completely flat and the water table is six inches below the
ground surface. In fact, aquaculturists here use the same ponds to grow rice
in the summertime and crawfish in the winter!

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We kindof stumbled on making a berm around our
pond.
Our yard is full of rocks, big, little and boulder sized.
Really, really hard to dig thru.
DH finally got tire of digging and started ripping up
turf along one of the fences. He stacked the turf
around the pond, put the liner over and then finished
off with flat rocks and more turf.
The turf on top of the liner gave a place for the kids
to hang out, up close and personal with the pond.
The ripped up turf area is full of roses, butterfly bushes,
aspen and a runaway honeysuckle vine (I am not a gardener
what thrives is what survives my attempts.)

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

http://tinyurl.com/32yloj

Fine. Thanks for the pic..!

--
cu
Marco

Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

[...basics about berm ponds...]
Thanks, Michael..! :-)
--