Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond add value?

I might have someone going to ask me if their pond adds value to their
home. (Thinking of selling.) I haven't view it yet.... but I've always been
understanding they don't, but they might have sell it faster if it is well
done.... etc. All depends on who is looking. Group? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote:

I might have someone going to ask me if their pond adds value to their
home. (Thinking of selling.) I haven't view it yet.... but I've always been
understanding they don't, but they might have sell it faster if it is well
done.... etc. All depends on who is looking. Group? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan,

I think a pond is like a pool here in San Diego. I've owned a house with a
pool and would not consider buying a house that had one - unless there was
something very special about the house to overcome the pool. A pool is great
if you have kids, but if not it is just a maintenance item. (Note all the
posts we get about converting a pool to a pond)

To be honest, I think a pond, unless it is very small, would deter more
buyers than it would attract. There is no denying that ponds are a high
maintenance item, and with fish stock even higher. There just aren't that
many ponders out there. A fountain, on the other hand, or small preform
might be okay.

For what it would cost to install, I say spend the money on landscaping.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ponds are like having a swimming pool when its time to sell the house.
Its not really a selling point, for some its a hassle.

In the same respect as if the new homeowner wants it, then it had value,
if they don't want it then doesn't. My neighbor was selling his house
and one buyer wanted him to remove his 9K gallon pond. This is where I
got a lot of my lighting, pumps, plants, Filters ect.. The sad thing is
the buyer backed out of the deal, the pond is still there and I have all
his equipment.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
I might have someone going to ask me if their pond adds value to their
home. (Thinking of selling.) I haven't view it yet.... but I've always
been
understanding they don't, but they might have sell it faster if it is well
done.... etc. All depends on who is looking. Group? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

===================================
I heard that some people actually had to fill in their ponds to sell their
property. Not many people are looking for a place with an artificial pond.
A natural pond, spring or creek can add value. I'm not saying this is true.
It's just something I heard, but she did sell Real Estate here in years
past.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
I might have someone going to ask me if their pond adds value to their
home. (Thinking of selling.) I haven't view it yet.... but I've always been
understanding they don't, but they might have sell it faster if it is well
done.... etc. All depends on who is looking. Group? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I would think it would depend very much on the purchaser and when
selling a house you never know who is going to wander in......a pond
could spell out a high maintenance issue to a buyer who wants a low
maintenance garden - therefore hassle. A buyer with a young family might
see it as a health and safety issue....someone who loves fish could see
it as a bonus......on balance I would think it would not devalue the
price of the property significantly but might mean it will take longer
to sell, which sometimes will lead to a price reduction depending on
desperate the seller is to move....I very much doubt it would increase
the sale value.....

Gill

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

jan, my guess is that a pond is like a "view" or really good landscaping;
both of which are hard to put a value on. I'm guessing a pond might be
viewed by a potential buyer somewhat like a pool. For some, it'd be a great
selling point. For others, they'd view it as something they'd not use much
and mean extra maintenance costs. I agree that the critical element is who's
looking. For the uninitiated ponder, something simple might provide
attraction whereas a Koi pond might not.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Thinking it would depend on who you think your
buyer is.
We live in an area with a highly desired elementary
school. Our house is older and a style that is not
very popular right now. It would attract young families
as it would be one of the less expense ones in a
really desireable area because of the
school. That does not bode well for our pond with
young families looking at the house. I'm betting someday
we'll have to fill in our pond when we sell.
otoh, a pond like the one that Jan's deck overlooks would
be a selling point. Really relaxing to go out and look down
at the fish. They'd probably want to buy the fish too!

k :-)

Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I might have someone going to ask me if their pond adds value to their
home. (Thinking of selling.) I haven't view it yet.... but I've always
been
understanding they don't, but they might have sell it faster if it is well
done.... etc. All depends on who is looking. Group? ~ jan

I was told by a Real Estate Agent friend that she has yet to get a bid on a
property with a pond, without the clause "pond, rocks etc to be removed and
ground sodded to match surrounding yard". She said a pond is too personal in
taste She has a pond of her own that she calls a masterpiece, (and IS really
nice)but she says when, or if she moves, it will be gone before the property
is listed
Gale :~)

Old 12-01-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

talk to real estate agents in the area. If it is well done, integrated into the
whole landscape AND low maintenance and the house is typically being sold to people
without children, then it could add value.

OTOH, it is relatively easy to fill in an unwanted pond.
Ingrid

Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks everyone, seems the consensus is that it wouldn't distract or add
value, so price the house, as a house and yard.

And.... don't do as Peter's friend did, sell off or give away equipment
till the deal is sealed. That is really sad. Hope he finds a buyer soon.

I would have a BIG problem if I had to sell my house to someone who was
requiring I fill in my ponds. Hope I never have to deal with that. ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-01-2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This talk is depressing! ;-) I'm going to have my home appraised in a few
months and I'll ask the appraiser if my 3,000 gallon pond adds any value. My
last house had an 800 gallon pond and I don't recall it being a liability;
at least nothing was ever mentioned to me. That pond and the one at my
current home were both built on slopes and I had to build up the low side -
one with railroad ties and the more recent one with some block. Both of
these would involve a teardown to restore the area.

My first home was put on the market by the folks that bought it from us. I
remember the ad listing it as having a "Coy" pond! ;-)

JB

Old 13-01-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

" wrote:

talk to real estate agents in the area. If it is well done, integrated into
the
whole landscape AND low maintenance and the house is typically being sold to
people
without children, then it could add value.

OTOH, it is relatively easy to fill in an unwanted pond.
Ingrid

I don't think you can say pond & low maintenance in the same sentence

Old 13-01-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

G Pearce wrote:

I might have someone going to ask me if their pond adds value to their
home. (Thinking of selling.) I haven't view it yet.... but I've always
been
understanding they don't, but they might have sell it faster if it is
well
done.... etc. All depends on who is looking. Group? ~ jan

I was told by a Real Estate Agent friend that she has yet to get a bid on
property with a pond, without the clause "pond, rocks etc to be removed
and ground sodded to match surrounding yard". She said a pond is too
personal in taste She has a pond of her own that she calls a masterpiece,
(and IS really nice)but she says when, or if she moves, it will be gone
before the property is listed

While I don't find that _too_ surprising, when we sold our last place we
didn't get any offers conditional on removal of the pond.
--
derek

Old 13-01-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
" wrote:

talk to real estate agents in the area. If it is well done,
integrated into
the
whole landscape AND low maintenance and the house is typically
being sold to
people
without children, then it could add value.

OTOH, it is relatively easy to fill in an unwanted pond.
Ingrid

I don't think you can say pond & low maintenance in the same
sentence

Depends on the pond, doesn't it? I have a filtered
150 gallon stock tank containing a bunch of plants
and a few goldfish (ok, a few adult fish and a bunch
of babies I need to give away), plus an approximately
300 gallon inground pond with a bunch of plants
and a few goldfish. The inground pond isn't filtered.
I add water when needed and once in awhile
(every two years, maybe) suck some stuff off the
bottom. It really is low maintenance. Even the
stock tank needs minimal maintanence - cleaning
the filter when it starts to clog and doing a simple
partial water change at the same time.

I wouldn't consider any Koi pond low
maintenance, but that's a different ... uh, kettle
of fish.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Rate This Thread: