Old 21-01-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Lessons You've Learned as a Ponder

I saw this subject in another discussion group I frequent. What did you do
that you won't do again? What did you buy that you didn't need. What do you
wish you'd done that you didn't?

|\ o
| \ o
|\ / .\ o

Old 21-01-2008, 04:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
42 42 is offline

Didn't put in a bottom drain. Sure wish I had.
42

"JB" wrote in message
I saw this subject in another discussion group I frequent. What did you do
that you won't do again? What did you buy that you didn't need. What do you
wish you'd done that you didn't?

|\ o
| \ o
|\ / .\ o

Old 21-01-2008, 04:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:

I saw this subject in another discussion group I frequent. What did you do
that you won't do again?

Trusted that a contractor knew what he was doing. They built me a beautiful
waterfall, but they took the pump output hose _out_ the pond, then under
the waterfall and back through the liner. Two opportunities for leaks when
they could have kept the hose inside the liner all the way. It's not just
about ponds - always supervise contractors!
--
derek

Old 21-01-2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
I saw this subject in another discussion group I frequent. What did you do
that you won't do again? What did you buy that you didn't need. What do you
wish you'd done that you didn't?

======================
I think I would have bypassed koi. They get huge and breed worse than
goldfish. ;-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-01-2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:

I saw this subject in another discussion group I frequent. What did you do
that you won't do again?

If we moved and had to build another pond, I'd probably go formal, bottom
drain(s)/skimmer thru the liner. Have my lily pond & koi pond connected by
flow, but not where they'd mingled (though I'd probably have lilies in the
with the koi for interest). Since I'm dreaming.... big vortex filters. I
still probably have to have a small informal pond for goldfish.

Things I wish I hadn't done as a newbie, purchased koi too soon. Put feeder
goldfish in.... not known the need for water testing. Though I'm not sure
how well I would have listen if someone would have said to me, in reality
you're not keeping fish, you're keeping water chemistry. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-01-2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Measure once, double in size.

Works for pond layout and for filter size..

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 22-01-2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

Things I wish I hadn't done as a newbie, purchased koi too soon. Put feeder
goldfish in....

That's what I planned for my 1st fish. Why were feeder GF a mistake?

Chip

Old 22-01-2008, 12:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
Things I wish I hadn't done as a newbie, purchased koi too soon. Put feeder
goldfish in....

That's what I planned for my 1st fish. Why were feeder GF a mistake?
Chip

They tend to carry more diseases (do to lack of care) and thus can infect a
pond. They breed like rabbits and are difficult to catch once you realize
you don't want them.

It was particularly heart breaking to put in a 9" female koi, too young to
be full of eggs and have 8 male goldfish end up razing her to death.

I guess that's another piece of sage advice. Do not put a new koi in, watch
it for a few minutes and then leave for several hours. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-01-2008, 12:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:02:57 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Measure once, double in size.

Works for pond layout and for filter size..

I've noticed that projects always take two or three times longer than
you planned, even if you take that into consideration when you plan.

Old 25-01-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen Hekhuis wrote in
:

wrote:

Measure once, double in size.

Works for pond layout and for filter size..

I've noticed that projects always take two or three times longer than
you planned, even if you take that into consideration when you plan.

Plan on at least double the amount of fish you intend to buy. "I only want
5 fish" translates into 10 fish, 10 fish translates into 20 fish, etc.

Old 27-01-2008, 03:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

dont put a hole in the liner
build it with veggie filter over the pond
build a veggie filter in the pond (for winter)
everything spills over into the pond, not out of the pond
if there are fish, build in a way to net or otherwise protect the pond
in freezing areas build it deeper and a way to put plastic over the pond to keep the
water open.
once the right number of koi are in the pond, dont add any more, no new fish
Ingrid

Old 27-01-2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Oh, as long as we are dreaming.... a natual pond with magic cattails
that never
stray where they are not wanted. Homes for turtles and frogs and
muskrats.
A small dock and little rowboat.

k :-)

Old 28-01-2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My lesson was don't ever put a pond near a lot of trees at an the bottom
of the garden. In winter you just cannot keep on top of it even with
netting........it is just too dark when you get home from work or before
leaving.....your only option is weekends when 5 days worth of crud has
already killed your water quality......and fish :-(

Gill (with new pond not close to any trees and right outside the house)

Old 18-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Registered User

I have a pond of 2600 gallon with some good aqua plant. Goldfish, angelfish and some nice shrimps. I love them, they solved my problem. They are algae eater.
Pond Liner

Rate This Thread: