Old 17-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered User

Default Green water - help needed

Hi need some help if possible, I have an Oase Clear Filter 6000 pressurised unit and 6000 Oase pond pump, I have lived in my house for about 6 years and have never changed the water, you can see on he picture the water is very green. The fish are mating every year at least 30 -50 babies per year. I have 2 Koi as you can see in the picture otherwise the others are all gold fish I think ? I have set up a quarantine tank so I can start to remove some of the babies and smaller fish. What I really would like to know is should I be removing the water and cleaning out the pond from scratch? Bearing in mind this has never been cleaned for at least 10 years. Is there a good time to do this?

I would appreciate any help

Thanks, Steve
Old 18-05-2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
dunns2 wrote:

Hi need some help if possible, I have an Oase Clear Filter 6000
pressurised unit and 6000 Oase pond pump, I have lived in my house for
about 6 years and have never changed the water, you can see on he
picture the water is very green. The fish are mating every year at
least 30 -50 babies per year. I have 2 Koi as you can see in the
picture otherwise the others are all gold fish I think ? I have set up
a quarantine tank so I can start to remove some of the babies and
smaller fish. What I really would like to know is should I be removing
the water and cleaning out the pond from scratch? Bearing in mind this
has never been cleaned for at least 10 years. Is there a good time to
do this?

I would appreciate any help

Thanks, Steve

You need to use a photo hosting service like Photobucket in order for us
to view your pictures. I'm reading this through a newsreader.

Without seeing your pond, I'd just clean and drain half.
It's mostly about scooping the crud off the bottom. A safe-for-fish
algaecide will help control the algae until you get a balance back.

Old 18-05-2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 17 May 2009 10:28:41 EDT, dunns2 wrote:

Hi need some help if possible, I have an Oase Clear Filter 6000
pressurised unit and 6000 Oase pond pump, I have lived in my house for
about 6 years and have never changed the water, you can see on he
picture the water is very green. The fish are mating every year at
least 30 -50 babies per year. I have 2 Koi as you can see in the
picture otherwise the others are all gold fish I think ? I have set up
a quarantine tank so I can start to remove some of the babies and
smaller fish. What I really would like to know is should I be removing
the water and cleaning out the pond from scratch? Bearing in mind this
has never been cleaned for at least 10 years. Is there a good time to
do this?

Hi Steve,

Presumably you clean the filter out as needed and I think this one
flushes itself so you do change some of the water and then top the pond
up. I'm on the text only usenet group so can't see your picture so I'm
guessing at the size of the pond but it does sound as though you may be
somewhat overcrowded in there :-)

The recommendation is to change 10-25% of the water weekly. This is to
get rid of the nitrates that build up and also the dissolved limescale
in the water otherwise it will get to hard. I personally don't
recommend emptying a pond totally unless there is no option.

As for cleaning it, that depends on how much detritus has built up. If
it's been there for a while it's likely to be full of anaerobic
bacteria making hydrogen sulphide and that it very toxic. If you just
net the stuff out of the bottom you will release that and quite
possibly kill all of the fish. A pond vac would be a very useful item
to have to remove this. Alternatively try to get some form of aeration,
(a waterfall or fountain can do that) and take the stuff out one net at
a time and then leave things to settle.

Algae grow because there are either too many fish, they are being
overfed or not enough plants to take up the nitrates. The green water
algae can be cut down by using floating plants or water lilies to block
some of the sunlight getting to the water. If your filter has a UV tube
it decreases in the amount of UV it produces over time and should be
replaced every year according to the manufacturers. The glass shroud
also needs cleaning regularly.

I'm not a fan of UVs because I like to know if there is a problem with
water quality and getting green water is a sign of something not right.
With a UV I wouldn't see that.

As for your question the answer has to be "I'm not sure"/"it depends on
the above" :-)

The first thing to do is pop over to
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...alculators.php and
work out what your stocking levels should be. It will give you a guide
at least.

Maybe next I'd put a new bulb in the filter so that it can clear up the
green water and I could see what the bottom of the pond is like. Then
either net or vac the stuff out from the bottom. If netting only do it
a bit at a time.

Do a bit of research on vegi-filters and see if it's practical for you
to put one in. It could be a nice attractive extra pond that the water
from the filter runs through full of plants. The idea behind them is
that they take up the nitrates and you keep pulling them out and
composting them. If you can't do that then you need to change the water
at a higher rate to get rid of them.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 18-05-2009, 04:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

CLEANING THE POND

Spring (when it follows a real winter) is the absolutely worst time to do
pond care. The fish have not been fed, their immune system is down and the
"cooties" wake up before the fish's immune system does. The stress of them
being moved out of the pond, or even just "chased" in the pond during this
time will lay them open to disease. Here in zone 5 spring comes on March
21, but a typical unheated pond wont be over 55o until late April or early
May. And by that time the fish will be spawning and stressed and eggs are
very susceptible to bacterial infection while in the female. So it is best
to wait until spawning season is over and the pond temp has been above 55oF for at
least 10 days and the water that will fill the pond, coming out of the hose is the
same or warmer than the water was on the pond.

This is how my "pond pros" clean my two big ponds out at the dacha. They start by
filling a big water tank (100-150 gallon rubbermaid, etc.) with water from the top of
the pond. They drop in a big airstone to keep the water aerated. Then they use a
couple really big pumps to drain the pond almost down to nothing, maybe 4-5 inches.
They DO NOT stir up the much on the bottom of the pond.
They now net and remove all the fish (and other wildlife) when it is easy to net
without chasing the fish around. This is a good time to do a salt bath on the fish
before they are placed in the holding tank.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...tm#SALT%20DIPS
use same temp water for the salt dip so there are no temp shocks.

When the fish are safely in the holding tank and the tank is COVERED to prevent fish
from jumping out, then they set about cleaning the pond.

They use plastic snow shovels (which wont rip the epdm that lines the pond) to shovel
out the muck in buckets. As they are shoveling out they use a regular broom to
gently sweep the sides and broom the muck towards the low side. They use a bit of
water but not much. Brooming removes the worst without removing the nice sweater
algae on the sides. Once the muck is removed they begin refilling. When it is deep
enough they move the fish back to the pond and dump the water in the stock tank, they
DONT put it back in the pond. I follow up the cleaning with a dose of potassium
permanganate
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d....htm#POTASSIUM
and the next day with some hydrogen peroxide and then add 0.05% salt.

Ingrid

On Sun, 17 May 2009 10:28:41 EDT, dunns2 wrote:
Hi need some help if possible, I have an Oase Clear Filter 6000
pressurised unit and 6000 Oase pond pump, I have lived in my house for
about 6 years and have never changed the water, you can see on he
picture the water is very green. The fish are mating every year at
least 30 -50 babies per year. I have 2 Koi as you can see in the
picture otherwise the others are all gold fish I think ? I have set up
a quarantine tank so I can start to remove some of the babies and
smaller fish. What I really would like to know is should I be removing
the water and cleaning out the pond from scratch? Bearing in mind this
has never been cleaned for at least 10 years. Is there a good time to
do this?

I would appreciate any help

Thanks, Steve

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Old 20-05-2009, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I strongly support the suggestion that you look into a veggie filter.
If it has a good bottom drain, you can clean your pond by draining the
veggie filter alone. Just cut it off from the flow. Phyllis and i do
that with our berm ponds on an annual basis. Easy!

In a decade and a half, we have never cleaned the main pond. The muck
is stirred by fish swimming and settles in the veggie filter. The
only thing we pull from the main pond is the sticks and long pone
needles that settle in the bottom of the 'deep well' (old septic tank)
which is the lowest point of the pond.

If you can put one in, a veggie filter is the easiest of filters to
care for.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Jim

Old 22-05-2009, 02:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

yes. I agree. INgrid

Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Registered User

hi am newbie here!

if you want to clean your pond i think you should put the fish first to another container for awhile and replace the water on your pond...because not only fishes would live on your pond mosquitoes too...mosquitoes lay eggs on water and your pond is really easy to lay eggs on their....if you want another option, seek help from profession...

Rate This Thread: