Old 27-08-2009, 11:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Lotus blooms - finally!

My lotus bloomed - finally! I removed all the other water plants from th
kiddy pool and added fresh soil and a lot of fertilizer. :-) It now has t
wo
seed heads. I may try planting some of them. Has anyone had success with

the seeds?
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-08-2009, 12:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:58:38 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

My lotus bloomed - finally! I removed all the other water plants from th
kiddy pool and added fresh soil and a lot of fertilizer. :-) It now has t
wo
seed heads. I may try planting some of them. Has anyone had success with

the seeds?

So where's the pictures?g

This was my first year with a pond & I was pleased to get lots of
Water lily blooms and a few Water hyacinths. I think I can squeeze
a lotus in next year.

How much surface area per plant did you give it? Kiddy pool? so it
doesn't need deep water? Do you leave it out for the winter?

I'm in a warm Zone 5 in upstate NY. Days are shorter than in TN-
but not a lot colder in my little protected spot.

Jim

Old 28-08-2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

So where's the pictures?g

I never got to take any. :*(

This was my first year with a pond & I was pleased to get lots of
Water lily blooms and a few Water hyacinths. I think I can squeeze
a lotus in next year.

They can take over a pond. That's why mine is in a kiddy pool by itself.

How much surface area per plant did you give it? Kiddy pool? so it
doesn't need deep water? Do you leave it out for the winter?

It stays out all winter. Soil is banked along the sides of the KP to help

protect it from freezing. A Lotus will take the whole pond and quickly. T
hey
have runners and are hard to contain.

I'm in a warm Zone 5 in upstate NY. Days are shorter than in TN-
but not a lot colder in my little protected spot.

We can get cold here, down to -3 isn't too uncommon, with the
windchill, -10. :-\ Lotus are hardy as long as the roots don't freez
e.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

LOL... this year I drove by Lake Winnebago (big lake in middle of Wisconsin) and
where the highway runs west of the Lake is a big marshy area that gives out into a
wide open water where there is this huge area of native lotus (zone 4). You need
about 2.5 - 3' of water and they will go nuts. Ingrid

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:31:17 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I think I can squeezea lotus in next year.
How much surface area per plant did you give it? Kiddy pool? so it
doesn't need deep water? Do you leave it out for the winter?

I'm in a warm Zone 5 in upstate NY. Days are shorter than in TN-
but not a lot colder in my little protected spot.

Jim

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM
lotus question ande Ponds 9 23-04-2003 01:08 PM
Growth of Tiger Lotus kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
tiger lotus rhizome/runners/???? Daniel Whiting Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 26-02-2003 10:13 PM