Old 30-08-2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Veggie Filter Surprise

I've just been cleaning out my main veggie filter, I was syphoning the
water/muck to the last inch or so, when I spotted a small fish/fry. Its
only an about 1/2 inch or so long, and it was luck not get syphoned.
Hopefully he grows into a real beauty.
How do you suppose he got there, the water goes through a pressure
filter before going into the veggie filter?
Peter

Old 30-08-2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

That happens to us as well. I think the egg theory is best. Our
water goes through a pump before it gets to our veggie filters.
Babies appear from time to time.

Jim

Old 31-08-2009, 02:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter wrote:

I've just been cleaning out my main veggie filter, I was syphoning the
water/muck to the last inch or so, when I spotted a small fish/fry. Its
only an about 1/2 inch or so long, and it was luck not get syphoned.
Hopefully he grows into a real beauty.
How do you suppose he got there, the water goes through a pressure
filter before going into the veggie filter?

I'm amazed at the number of tadpoles & fry that get past my skimmer
bag and filter, take a ride on the Savio impeller-go-round, ride 12'
through the dark 1 1/4" tunnel, and play for a while in the upper
pool-- then shoot the falls back to the pond.

I've been tempted to mark them somehow to see if it is the same
adventurers who go for it, or just a random sampling.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
Surprise, surprise Zemedelec Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:20 PM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM