Old 22-09-2009, 02:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Advice needed for replacement pump

My head is spinning after looking at a dozen or so web sites that sell
pond pumps. I'm finding TONS of pumps for big ponds and massive
waterfalls, but almost nothing for the small preformed one my mother has.

Its dimensions are approximately 5' long by 3' wide by 2' deep;
according to pond capacity calculators I used, this equals approximately
225 gallons. It has a waterfall that rises about 2' above the pond.

Can anyone recommend--and point me to--a dual-discharge pump for this
pond? Any recommendations for good online sources? I've never bought
pond supplies online so I'm not familiar with any of the companies, and
I'd like to buy from a company with a good reputation.

--

Linux users, be counted! Register with Linux counter: http://counter.li.org

Linux and geek gear:
http://www.smartassproducts.com/sect...omputing.shtml

Old 23-09-2009, 01:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I bought my last couple of pump from www.pondliner.com. They're out of
Oklahoma but they ship anywhere so that's no big deal. I buy my fish food
from Colorado but I digress. Looks like you'll need a pump that can pump 225
gallons per hour at 2'. (This conforms to the somewhat standardized
recommendation to turn over the water once per hour. You didn't mention a
filter. Got one? Interested in saving electricity? If so, give the OASE
models a look/see. They're pretty energy efficient and I've been pleased
with he three I've had. Submersible pump I assume?

Good luck. You'll get good advice here from others.

JB

m...

Old 23-09-2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:
I bought my last couple of pump from www.pondliner.com. They're out of
Oklahoma but they ship anywhere so that's no big deal. I buy my fish food
from Colorado but I digress. Looks like you'll need a pump that can pump 225
gallons per hour at 2'. (This conforms to the somewhat standardized
recommendation to turn over the water once per hour. You didn't mention a
filter. Got one? Interested in saving electricity? If so, give the OASE
models a look/see. They're pretty energy efficient and I've been pleased
with he three I've had. Submersible pump I assume?

Thanks for the reply.

Between posting my message and reading your reply, I ended up he
http://www.123ponds.com/pm02522.html and I *THINK* this pump will work.
(Note that despite its name, PM2-250 GPH..., its maximum flow is
actually 275 GPH.)

Am I correct in assuming that if I add this insert tee fitting,
http://www.123ponds.com/t12p.html I'll be able to connect both the
waterfall and this fountain head, http://www.123ponds.com/ft9.html by
using this tubing, http://www.123ponds.com/kfl012p-20.html ?

The pump comes with a foam pre-filter.

I'd like to order ASAP so I'd appreciate any input on my proposed setup!

Thanks.

Old 24-09-2009, 03:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

The fountain head may need more water. Check here
http://shop.tjb-inc.com/shared/Store...products.as p
Too big is okay. You can always add a valve to dump the extra water. You
might find two pumps best. One for the water fall and one for the fountain
head.
Usually the fountain head connects directly to the pump and the assembly
sets on the pond bottom.

Old 24-09-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pat wrote:
The fountain head may need more water. Check here
http://shop.tjb-inc.com/shared/Store...products.as p
Too big is okay. You can always add a valve to dump the extra water. You
might find two pumps best. One for the water fall and one for the fountain
head.
Usually the fountain head connects directly to the pump and the assembly
sets on the pond bottom.

I've had this same design problem. One big pump with big pipes and
expensive multi-valves for regulation of filter(s) flow(s), waterfall
flow, fountain flow, etc, or smaller individual pumps with smaller pipes
and AC switches when not wanted.

Any suggestions?

Chip

Old 25-09-2009, 12:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:30:53 EDT, Chip wrote:

-snip-
I've had this same design problem. One big pump with big pipes and
expensive multi-valves for regulation of filter(s) flow(s), waterfall
flow, fountain flow, etc, or smaller individual pumps with smaller pipes
and AC switches when not wanted.

I guess 'expensive' is in the eye/pocketbook of the beholder. I went
with a larger pump, 1 1/2" flexible PVC & built a manifold with 5
valves.

These valves are $5.07 ea-

http://www.antonline.com/p_American-...VE-_345733.htm
so for $25 I can fool around with different flows on different lines.
right now one line goes to the bog, another to the falls, and a 3rd to
a UV light.[pure magic- figure one into your setup]

The fourth will feed a veggie filter & water feature when I get to it.

Another option- and I wonder what others think- is to use 2 pumps so
if one dies you have another that can run the necessities until the
replacement arrives. My inclination, now that I'm already setup,
is to buy a spare & swap them out if needed.

Jim

Old 25-09-2009, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I guess 'expensive' is in the eye/pocketbook of the beholder. I went
with a larger pump, 1 1/2" flexible PVC & built a manifold with 5
valves.

These valves are $5.07 ea-

http://www.antonline.com/p_American-...VE-_345733.htm

OK, I was thinking about brass valves. Thanks for the tip. Is your
manifold before or after the pump? Before or after your main filter?

Chip

Old 28-09-2009, 12:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sep 21, 8:59 pm, MorrisonAndBoyd
wrote:
My head is spinning after looking at a dozen or so web sites that sell
pond pumps. I'm finding TONS of pumps for big ponds and massive
waterfalls, but almost nothing for the small preformed one my mother has.

Its dimensions are approximately 5' long by 3' wide by 2' deep;
according to pond capacity calculators I used, this equals approximately
225 gallons. It has a waterfall that rises about 2' above the pond.

Can anyone recommend--and point me to--a dual-discharge pump for this
pond? Any recommendations for good online sources? I've never bough

pond supplies online so I'm not familiar with any of the companies, and
I'd like to buy from a company with a good reputation.

--

Linux users, be counted! Register with Linux counter:http://counter.li.or

Linux and geek gear:http://www.smartassproducts.com/sections_computing.sh

tml

Hi, i was wondering if having a pond in your yard will increase the
houses worth?

Old 28-09-2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
[...]

Only maybe. Here in So Cal, there are probably an even number of people who
want a pool (those with kids) as those who don't (those without kids)

Had one, now have a pond - much better!

So, if there is a buyer who says, "wow great pond!" then it will increase
the value, but if you get the guy who thinks, "Ack! Think of the
maintenance." not so much.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 29-09-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I agree with Joe. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For some a pond does
not represent beauty but maintenance. and a mess. I don't think it would
decrease your property's value but * doubt you'd get more than 50% return
on your investment unless the person was a pond geek like you.

wrote:
[...]

Rate This Thread: