Old 22-10-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Another weekend

Is almost upon us, what winterizing do you need to do this weekend? Pond or
yard wise? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 23-10-2009, 01:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I need to unfurl my leaf netting and get it draped over my 2X4 duct taped
support system to keep falling leaves out of the pond. I need to trim up my
water lily leaves that are dying back as well as any other plant material
that's going dormant to keep it from rotting in the pond. I'll renew my
thinking about removing my 3000 gph pump and replacing with a smaller, more
cost effective pump for the winter months which I've not yet bought because
I balk at the price tag every time I look at the "efficient" OASE pumps.

I'll marvel at how clear the water is and ponder buying a UV filter so that
it would be this clear in early spring but balk at the price for one. (see
above) I'll get a good look at my fish population and wonder why it isn't
larger? Was it the GBH? The water moccasin? I won't know the answer but I'll
realize that my pond was supporting about as much fish load as it should and
write it off as natural selection.

I'll consider buying Matala pads to replace the 200 pounds of lava rock I
have in my filter falls. I'll come away amazed at how much they cost. (see
above)

I'll remember that I didn't clean out my filter for the first time since
1998 and be amazed that I didn't experience any ill effects from not doing
that maintenance. I'll smile inwardly at my wisdom for over designing my
pond which allowed me to do this. I'll quickly ask for forgiveness for
having this thought and quickly knock on wood or else I'll risk being struck
by lightening or some mishap to my pond.

I'll remember that the Arkansas Razorbacks are playing the Ole Miss Rebels
in football at 2:30 CST and drop anything not completed before kick off.

JB

--

news

Old 24-10-2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here in Jackson, it is gradually getting colder...like the 40's.
Growth has slowed but not stopped for many of hte plants. The
hyacinth are showing the effects of the cold, but won't really die
back til it is much colder. Nothing to do but contemplate the future
cold.

Jim

Old 25-10-2009, 01:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
news
Is almost upon us, what winterizing do you need to do this weekend? Pon

or
yard wise? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

===============
I have to pull out spent flowers and veggies from the garden. Not much e
lse
to do yardwise this time of year.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I balk at the price tag every time I look at the "efficient" OASE pumps.

Course... this is the best time of year to buy things, either prices are
reduced or no shipping charges. ;-)

I'll marvel at how clear the water is and ponder buying a UV filter so that
it would be this clear in early spring but balk at the price for one. (see
above)

Ditto... but UV is so over rated, imho. ;-) Unless you have a koi only pond
with no plants helping to clear the water, other than algae.

I'll consider buying Matala pads to replace the 200 pounds of lava rock I
have in my filter falls. I'll come away amazed at how much they cost. (see
above)

Ditto. This year I replaced my 8 sheets of open cell bio-foam that
originally cost me $125/filter 12 years ago. I purchased 2 gray and 2 blue
of the matala and kept 2 of the open cell foam sheets in the middle. Cost
$163, but no shipping charge thru Joe's Koi and that saved a bundle
considering they can't be folded up and came in two separate boxes. They
cut easily to size with a Ginsu knife, and I have some nice pieces now for
bucket filters. I'm also hoping this will help with cleaning as I should be
able to spray the matala off in the filter rather than hefting out open
cell foam, that even when drained of water, is heavy when filled with
debris. After all, I can let the bio-part go a year & a half before
cleaning so lots of mulm on those first couple of sheets. I couldn't even
begin to haul out clean rock, let alone wet mulm filled rock. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: