Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Cold!

I think this is the first time since I got wireless thermometers that we've
gotten this cold (SW Washington State) without snow cover for insulation.
The lily pond that just has a 100 watt heater + bubbler is holding fairly
well close to 40F at the bottom.

The koi ponds, otoh, with slow moving water and a 1,000 watt heater is
slowly losing heat. The heater on a calm near freezing day will actually
drive the temp up to 40F before I turn it off to save power. Our current
temps are in the teens, much less w/wind chill (thus wind blowing any heat
away near the surface) and the temp is 34.7F for the koi! Brrr! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We just had our first snow for the season and had our first freezes.
The temperature got down to 31 degrees. That seems to be pretty warm
for you Jan! The water hyacinths have died back and Jim will put the
plastic sheet over them as a minimal green house. Next year, they
will all wake up again.

Phyllis

Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
We just had our first snow for the season and had our first freezes.
The temperature got down to 31 degrees. That seems to be pretty warm
for you Jan! The water hyacinths have died back and Jim will put the
plastic sheet over them as a minimal green house. Next year, they
will all wake up again.

Phyllis

We are getting down to 2 degrees tonight and the pond is covered with
two feet of snow. Got the bubbler going for the air hole.

Mark

Old 09-12-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:44:26 EST, Mark wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
We just had our first snow for the season and had our first freezes.
The temperature got down to 31 degrees. That seems to be pretty warm
for you Jan! The water hyacinths have died back and Jim will put the
plastic sheet over them as a minimal green house. Next year, they
will all wake up again.

Phyllis

We are getting down to 2 degrees tonight and the pond is covered with
two feet of snow. Got the bubbler going for the air hole.

Mark

Here in northern Florida it hasn't snowed, in fact, we haven't even
had a freeze yet, though it did get to 33 one night. As a mattter of
fact, I think this state is only one of two (Hawai'i being the other
one) that has no "bridge freezes before roadway" type of signs. I've
seen them in every other state.
..

Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
We just had our first snow for the season and had our first freezes.
The temperature got down to 31 degrees. That seems to be pretty warm
for you Jan! The water hyacinths have died back and Jim will put the
plastic sheet over them as a minimal green house. Next year, they
will all wake up again.

Phyllis

We are getting down to 2 degrees tonight and the pond is covered with
two feet of snow. Got the bubbler going for the air hole.

Mark

Here in northern Florida it hasn't snowed, in fact, we haven't even
had a freeze yet, though it did get to 33 one night. As a mattter of
fact, I think this state is only one of two (Hawai'i being the other
one) that has no "bridge freezes before roadway" type of signs. I've
seen them in every other state.
.

Pond temp is still in the 50s- 60s here in Ventura County, CA near the
beach. Chilly at night now, into the high 40s a few nights.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our cold spell has continued to drag on, I'm not sure when we were last
above the freezing point, day or night. The koi pond has dropped close to
33F (though it may be reading 2 degrees low). Today it is up to 33.6F, so
an actual gain. I put some solid covers on top of the screens, but they
don't cover near enough. I'm sure the utility wheel is going round & round
and I hope my old stock tank heater doesn't poop out. I do have another,
but who wants to go out in this cold and deal with that?! Good thing I've
gone to almost all LED Xmas lights.

Lily pond down to 38.5F. I think the last 3 nights we been between 3 to 5
degrees as the lows around the house, before that I saw a high low of 10F.
Around town negative numbers have been reported. All w/o snow cover. I'm
thinking my roses are really going to take a hit this year and I wonder
what else will show winter damage when spring comes? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-12-2009, 02:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We got snow today, woo hoo, a bit of insulation on the screens now. Water
temp up to 36.1F! Outside temp up to 24F. I have a nice ice tunnel where
the water enters the top pond at the surface. Bet it melts by morning.
Pretty cool looking, wish I could have taken a picture but doubt it would
have shown thru the screening. Tunnel was about a foot long.

I hope everyone else's ponds are doing okay in the northern sections of the
country. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-12-2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

We got snow today, woo hoo, a bit of insulation on the screens now. Water
temp up to 36.1F! Outside temp up to 24F. I have a nice ice tunnel where
the water enters the top pond at the surface. Bet it melts by morning.
Pretty cool looking, wish I could have taken a picture but doubt it would
have shown thru the screening. Tunnel was about a foot long.

I hope everyone else's ponds are doing okay in the northern sections of the
country. ~ jan

This is my favorite season, appearance wise. All the stuff I
haven't finished is covered by 6" of snow- and the little pond looks
different every time I look out.

It got down to 8degrees last night so I've got a couple inches of ice
on most of it now- but where the waterfall comes in it carves a
varying pattern depending on how much sun there is to warm things up.

I had left a rock at the base of the falls to get rinsed off and
forgotten it. Now it gets splashed on and grows a huge helmet of ice-
and splits the 'thaw-line' two ways. I like when my
forgetfulness/laziness improves my view.g

I should put a digital thermometer in my pond-- have you mentioned
what you have in yours?

Jim

Old 14-12-2009, 01:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:25:04 EST, ~ jan wrote:

We got snow today, woo hoo, a bit of insulation on the screens now. Water
temp up to 36.1F! Outside temp up to 24F. I have a nice ice tunnel where
the water enters the top pond at the surface. Bet it melts by morning.
Pretty cool looking, wish I could have taken a picture but doubt it would
have shown thru the screening. Tunnel was about a foot long.

I hope everyone else's ponds are doing okay in the northern sections of the
country. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Wow. We got almost an inch and a half of rain yesterday. That's
almost as much as we got all last month. I'm extatic. That's over 3
inches already this month and December isn't half over. The frogs
sure are happy, and they aren't being shy about expressing themselves,
either.
..

Old 14-12-2009, 02:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
We got snow today, woo hoo, a bit of insulation on the screens now. Water
temp up to 36.1F! Outside temp up to 24F. I have a nice ice tunnel where
the water enters the top pond at the surface. Bet it melts by morning.
Pretty cool looking, wish I could have taken a picture but doubt it would
have shown thru the screening. Tunnel was about a foot long.

I hope everyone else's ponds are doing okay in the northern sections of the
country. ~ jan

We're finally getting snow today, and it's quite a lot by our standards.
It should bring the ambient temp. here up a few degrees and that's
good. The hard freeze was beginning to worry me.

Old 15-12-2009, 02:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ace hardware has a thermometer set that includes a remote, on-a-wire
waterproof sensor. Placed next to the pond, that lets us read both an
air temp and a water temp...from inside!

Early Christmas gift for Phyllis?

Jim

Old 15-12-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 14 déc, 20:42, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Ace hardware has a thermometer set that includes a remote, on-a-wire
waterproof sensor. Placed next to the pond, that lets us read both an
air temp and a water temp...from inside!

Early Christmas gift for Phyllis?

Jim

Hi,
I would also love that type of thermometer. Can you tell me the brand
so I can look for it in my area?
Here in Ottawa Canada, my pond is completely snowed under except for a
two by two feet hole where my bubbler is. I have been piling snow on
the pond for the last week (we have been getting quite a lot), hoping
it will insulate it as I have left koi and water lilies in the bottom
(2 feet deep). It is the first winter for the pond and already I can't
wait for spring to see what will survive the winter. Right now, I'm
very envious of all of you who get to enjoy your ponds year long!
Martine

Old 16-12-2009, 03:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This week's light snow enabled me to see thousands
of little birdy footprints around the hole in the ice. Some
squirrel prints in there too.
I was out of town when it got really cold so had to
have Dear Daughter rummage around in the shed and
give her instructions over phone.

kathy :-)

Old 16-12-2009, 01:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I will take a look tomorrow.

Want one for about $10 plus postage? If they have one left, I would
get it for you.

Jim

Old 16-12-2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well covered my pond finally this last Saturday. Went out to check the temp on the
pond Monday (went from 42 to 46 in 1 day) and found my first dead koi in 8 or 9
years. used 2 different ammonia kits, nothing. too cold to do much of anything at
all. The koi was too far gone to do a necropsy on it. bummer. Ingrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Rate This Thread: