Old 27-03-2010, 03:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default advice on watering my plants

So I've enjoyed this group these past few weeks and do believe that
someone was talking about using their pond water for watering plants.

I have a little ten gallon aquarium and about fifty house plants,
veggies, herbs, etc. growing on tables by my front window.

Results have always been spotty due to not enough light and probably my
tendancy to overwater.

I've found that if I give the plants a shot of fertilizer that the
leaves tend to go dark dark green, and curl under.

Would some kind soul please comment on the value of using aquarium water
and tell me whether or not I should supplement with fertilizer.

I use soil for some plants, and passive hydroponics for others using the
expanded clay pellets as a medium.

Thanks for your consideration.

If there is another newsgroup more appropriate to these types of
questions I'd appreciate a heads up as to what the group is called.

Old 27-03-2010, 06:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:08:59 EDT, BERNIE THE BUNION
wrote:

[...]

Hi Bernie,

I have a 30 gallon patio pond in my living room, and I have used it in the
past for watering my house plants. When I did this I had quite a few fish
in it at the time, so I did not fertilize the plants. They did great.
Currently I have only 2 small fish in there, and lots of duck weed on top
that I don't want to lose, so I've pretty much stopped the practice. Plants
are still doing great w/fertilizer.

Thus I'd say, if you don't use salt in your aquarium, go forth and water.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-03-2010, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"BERNIE THE BUNION" wrote in message
So I've enjoyed this group these past few weeks and do believe that
someone was talking about using their pond water for watering plants.

-------------- Brevity snip!

You need to Google "tropical houseplant care." Different houseplants
and herbs need different soils and fertilizers.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: