Old 19-04-2010, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default OT Hanging tomato

My son in Charlotte and Phyllis here liked the idea of the upside-down
tomatos. I suggested just using a 5 gal bucket, right side up. The
tomatos will hang over just fine and grow near your patio. Wind can
cut them off below the hanging basket and is a bit less likely to
grind them off when they are over the edge. For that matter, it could
just sit on the patio with a wire cage to grow UP as do garden
tomatos!

Well, anyway, I now have a black 5 gal bucket hanging from the crepe
myrtle by our deck by the pond. It has three plants in to...so there
can be some attrition. They are siblings of the ones in my garden, so
comparison can be made later. The ones in the garden have 18"
diameter cylinders of 2 x 4"cement mesh cloth to grow in. The
cylinders have plenty of openings to reach in.

Has anyone had experience with the hanging tomatos?

Jim

Old 22-04-2010, 09:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

-snip-

Has anyone had experience with the hanging tomatos?

Not upside down-- but tomatoes in containers are a challenge already.
Tomatoes like to feed heavily, and like a *steady* supply of *not too
moist* soil.

If you've got even a single square foot of lawn you'd give up, plant
one in the ground, feed it with tomato food, mulch well, and put a
cage around it to keep it aired out. Then pray for hot, humid
weather. Our summers have been so cold the past 3 years I've barely
gotten enough tomatoes for salads-- let alone giving away & making
salsa, & chili sauce.

Jim

Rate This Thread: