Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Deer eating water celery

This is a first! The deer have decided they like water celery. That
could be a problem! They also sampled the hyacinth, apparently
without liking it. One even tried stepping on out floating
fountain...flipped it over and tore up some lily pads.

I have electric fence around the berry patches and gardens. Each
season we have to educate the yearlings with peanut butter on tin foil
wrapped around the wires. I may need to do that with the berm ponds
if this keeps up. They can walk up the back of the berm and nibble.
A bit of electricity would probably educate them about the berm.

Jim

Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Deer education

I put out my deer education materials yesterday. 60 small pieces of
tin foil with scrunched peanut butter, wrapped around the live
electric fence surrounding my gardens. Two interesting results:
First: 3 pieces on the ground, indicating three educational deer
jolts; second; There are ripe berries onthe plants, a marked
difference fron yesterday when there were NONE and hundreds of unripe
berries and dry stems where berries had been. Conclusion; deer are
very effective at identifying ripe berries.

My camera over the water celery did not pick up any motion. No trail
cam pics. Probably a result of the three educational experiences. It
is my hope they will leave the berries alone. I am not sure what i
will do about the water celery browsing.

Jim

Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I will do some looking for yur product.

We had 7 education events yesterday and NONE last night. I also
picked 4 qts of berries today. Funny how they ripen when there are no
deer!

Jim

Old 15-06-2010, 07:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:50:51 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I will do some looking for yur product.

We had 7 education events yesterday and NONE last night. I also
picked 4 qts of berries today. Funny how they ripen when there are no
deer!

Jim

Sounds like I need a method for the raccoons, though so far they haven't
done too much berry picking unlike last year. They leave their evidence in
the their poo at the far corner of the yard as they go over the fence. DH
has a small wood pile there. He'll move that this fall and I'll dig a hole
and bury their crap (with face mask on). ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-06-2010, 09:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
I will do some looking for yur product.

We had 7 education events yesterday and NONE last night. I also
picked 4 qts of berries today. Funny how they ripen when there are no
deer!

Jim

Sounds like I need a method for the raccoons, though so far they haven't
done too much berry picking unlike last year. They leave their evidence i

the their poo at the far corner of the yard as they go over the fence. DH
has a small wood pile there. He'll move that this fall and I'll dig a hol

and bury their crap (with face mask on). ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Our racoons have a visit with a hav-a-heart trap and relocate to our
property about 22 miles away.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 2 18-03-2003 02:44 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM