Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Tossed 8 bushels of Hyacinth

Summer growth is in full swing. I tossed 8 bushels of 18" hyacinth
from the berm ponds today. All that converted fish waste is now
working on becoming mulch. Veggie filters....Yeah!!!!

Jim

Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My excess is "watercress" requiring pruning with a pole pruner, one clip at
a time. My watercress had taken a real hit during the winter, but it came
back BIG time. It is all I can do to keep it from taking over the pond.
Same in the lily pond, it has become a monster,completely covering the
spray bar, which is what I'd hoped, but when it starts spreading over the
surface it takes the space for the water lilies to spread out. ~ jan

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:14:56 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Summer growth is in full swing. I tossed 8 bushels of 18" hyacinth
from the berm ponds today. All that converted fish waste is now
working on becoming mulch. Veggie filters....Yeah!!!!

Jim

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-08-2010, 05:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

My excess is "watercress" requiring pruning with a pole pruner, one clip at
a time. My watercress had taken a real hit during the winter, but it came
back BIG time. It is all I can do to keep it from taking over the pond.
Same in the lily pond, it has become a monster,completely covering the
spray bar, which is what I'd hoped, but when it starts spreading over the
surface it takes the space for the water lilies to spread out. ~ jan

Oh man-- I wish I had that problem. My watercress is struggling
along & my wife & her girlfriend have fallen in love with cucumber &
Watercress salad.g

Jim

Old 20-08-2010, 09:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hyacinth growing strong, but yellowed leaves

The hyacinth has slowed as we miove through August. Still growing
well and very tall. The new growth has much lighter leaves than the
older. Like yellowish. I added some potassium to the pond recently,
so it should not be that. Any ideas?

Jim

Old 21-08-2010, 01:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

The hyacinth has slowed as we miove through August. Still growing
well and very tall. The new growth has much lighter leaves than the
older. Like yellowish. I added some potassium to the pond recently,
so it should not be that. Any ideas?

What about your other plants? My Hyacinth have not been thriving
this year, and my lilys seem to have more dying leaves than normal
[though blooming is right up there with last year]

I've been blaming the super hot weather- [for us]- and the pond is
also getting some extra sun because the maple lost a couple big
branches this summer.

My water lettuce, hornwort & elephant ear seem fine, so I think the
water is ok.

The only chemicals I've ever used is some Algaecide on occasion to
keep the string algae down to where the snails can eat it.

[also]
Jim

[In NY where it has been a very hot- very dry summer]

Old 24-08-2010, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hey Jim (Southern greeting, equivalent to Hi Jim)

Thanks for the feedback.

I grew up in Syracuse where my dad was dean of the business school.
Where are you?

Old 24-08-2010, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:51:56 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The only chemicals I've ever used is some Algaecide on occasion to
keep the string algae down to where the snails can eat it.

[also]
Jim
[In NY where it has been a very hot- very dry summer]

There is your culprit. Algaecide. Some plants are very sensitive to it. pH
and KH can also make them more or less so, why sometimes it bothers them
and sometimes it doesn't... and why it bothers some without bothering
others.

I had WH in a floating basket and the koi finally pulled it all out, but it
is doing great floating free now so I pulled the basket out weeks ago. Nice
to have it in the pond again. It has never grown that well in the lily
pond, but this year, where I have some that the roots are in contact with
soil they are doing fairly well. Need all the baby/egg saving plants in
there as wakins are sure caviar eaters. Only 3 babies of size brave enough
to join the adult group have shown up recently. I do have an amazing mat of
watercress hiding some smaller ones. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-08-2010, 01:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Water celery also yellowing Iron problem?

Not only our WH, but also our water celery is yellowing in the new
growth. Iron? I doubt it is a nitrogen issue with koi and goldfish
in the pond. Lilies seem to be doing fine.

Any thoughts on what is going on or how to check.

Old 29-08-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 07:58:20 EDT, Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Not only our WH, but also our water celery is yellowing in the new
growth. Iron? I doubt it is a nitrogen issue with koi and goldfish
in the pond. Lilies seem to be doing fine.

Any thoughts on what is going on or how to check.

I'd go for iron and get some iron sulphate, available from garden
centres in the uk. You only need a tiny amount, something like 12grams
per 600 gallons. The water is likely to go hazy for a day or two but
will clear eventually.

If you have a lot of plants they could be using up all of the nitrates
so it's worth getting a test kit for that and checking.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old 30-08-2010, 01:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have iron. I will give it a try.

I have a test kit as well and will take a look at the nitrates.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Not only our WH, but also our water celery is yellowing in the new
growth. Iron? I doubt it is a nitrogen issue with koi and goldfish
in the pond. Lilies seem to be doing fine.

Any thoughts on what is going on or how to check.

What is your pH? You can dump a truck load of nutrients in, but if your pH
is high the plants can't take it up. Every plant has its best pH threshold.
Though I suspect celery is pretty high, as I have the variegated variety
growing fine in the cut holes of cement blocks around my lily pond. Granted
the blocks are now 9 years old. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What is your pH?

I will take a look. I would be amazed if it changed suddenly at the
end of the summer. That would need a reason!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Haven't done the ph yet, but after potash, the hyacinths are greening
more and the older ones are significantly darker than before.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Growth tossed Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 4 31-07-2005 03:51 AM
I may have some hyacinth after all....also lily question. jammer Ponds 2 23-02-2003 09:17 PM
Indoor Hyacinth Jack United Kingdom 4 11-02-2003 11:04 PM
Festival Blue hyacinth Zemedelec Gardening 0 11-02-2003 06:25 PM
Water Hyacinth REBEL JOE Ponds 5 09-02-2003 12:01 AM