Old 19-10-2010, 02:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Shubunkin growth and breeding

I decided this year to try breeding some subunkins in my berm ponds.
I got a half dozen of the regular shubunkins and have let them grow.
The pond also has one orange comet with a fine tail and a bunch of
mosquito fish. They seem to have grown well to 4-6 inches each. Does
anyone know how likely it is that they will breed this coming spring?
They are in a hyacinth pond, so the fry should have good hiding places
in the roots...although the mosquito fish will get a lot of them.

Also, any suggestions about encouraguing breeding? I am thinking they
will handle that themselves for the most part!

Jim

Old 20-10-2010, 02:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 10/19/2010 5:04 AM, Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Also, any suggestions about encouraguing breeding? I am thinking they
will handle that themselves for the most part!

You might try playing a little Barry Manilow on the underwater speaker.

Chip

Old 20-10-2010, 02:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:04:41 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I decided this year to try breeding some subunkins in my berm ponds.
I got a half dozen of the regular shubunkins and have let them grow.
The pond also has one orange comet with a fine tail and a bunch of
mosquito fish. They seem to have grown well to 4-6 inches each. Does
anyone know how likely it is that they will breed this coming spring?
They are in a hyacinth pond, so the fry should have good hiding places
in the roots...although the mosquito fish will get a lot of them.

Also, any suggestions about encouraguing breeding? I am thinking they
will handle that themselves for the most part!

Jim

I know I never had any baby fish in the koi ponds when I had mosquito fish
in there and the first couple of years I had goldfish too. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-10-2010, 01:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

OK, Barry Manilow it is! Maybe Johnny Mathis? Music to neck by.

We have had babies in the ponds with mosquito fish...but very few! We
shall see in the spring. I could pull the fish and not return the
mosquito fish. I would faer the mosquitos, however. Maybe i should
cut them down to only a few?

Jim

Old 20-10-2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 10/20/2010 6:44 AM, Phyllis and Jim wrote:

OK, Barry Manilow it is! Maybe Johnny Mathis? Music to neck by.

We have had babies in the ponds with mosquito fish...but very few! We

shall see in the spring. I could pull the fish and not return the

mosquito fish. I would faer the mosquitos, however. Maybe i should

cut them down to only a few?

Jim

My brief experience with having a pond (just over 3 years) is that, bar

any outside factors, they breed like rabbits ;-) Over the last two

years, I've had something like 20 new fish arrive in my pond as a result

of goldfish and shubunkin breeding. The only reason it's not hopelessly

overcrowded is that a Heron came by for lunch last autumn ;-)

--

Nik Simpson

Old 21-10-2010, 05:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If you have a bunch of little goldfish fry in a pond, you won't have
mosquitos. If the water is moving, it is even more unlikely. Especially if
one has a skimmer.

I'm sure it depends on how fast one's water is moving thru.... The koi
ponds have no little fish and I've yet to see a skeeter in the ponds. The
lily pond ends up with little babies, but I never saw a skeeter even before
that... both have skimmers. Prior to installing and having fish full time I
had tadpoles show up about the same time as skeeter larvae would mature.

I really don't think you need mosquito fish if you have other types. ~ jan

Old 22-10-2010, 02:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I can try it and see.

If I itch a lot, I will catch them and send them to you, Jan.

Or, better said, I will introduce some mosquito fish!

Jim

Old 24-10-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
.
I decided this year to try breeding some subunkins in my berm ponds.
I got a half dozen of the regular shubunkins and have let them grow.
The pond also has one orange comet with a fine tail and a bunch of
mosquito fish. They seem to have grown well to 4-6 inches each. Does
anyone know how likely it is that they will breed this coming spring?
They are in a hyacinth pond, so the fry should have good hiding places
in the roots...although the mosquito fish will get a lot of them.

Also, any suggestions about encouraguing breeding? I am thinking they
will handle that themselves for the most part!

Jim

=======================Well grown Shubunkins we had here bred at a year old. The better
they're fed the faster they grow and the more eggs they lay.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: