Old 29-10-2010, 07:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Building a large pond cover

Greetings all!
Here it is, October 29 and we are at 70 F and rising! SO, I am
working on building another pond cover and have two beautiful days to
do it. Any suggestions for plans for a cover of 31' X 25'?
I have seen a few plans and suggestions on line but they are all for
much smaller areas. If any of you have constructed a large cover
would you be willing to share your thoughts, ideas, methods, and the
like?
I hope to have a cover last all winter this year.
Thanks for your help!
W. Dale

Old 30-10-2010, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 10/29/2010 1:06 PM, W. Dale wrote:
Greetings all!
Here it is, October 29 and we are at 70 F and rising! SO, I am
working on building another pond cover and have two beautiful days to
do it. Any suggestions for plans for a cover of 31' X 25'?
I have seen a few plans and suggestions on line but they are all for
much smaller areas. If any of you have constructed a large cover
would you be willing to share your thoughts, ideas, methods, and the
like?
I hope to have a cover last all winter this year.
Thanks for your help!
W. Dale

My only time doing this, I used a haphazard construction made of plastic
sheeting and lumber. Built a lumber support over the pond and then duct
taped plastic sheeting together that enclosed the pond. It was a small
800-900 gallon pond, about 10 feet in diameter. The hyacinths and other
plants survived when they don't in a normal winter here.

It was ugly but it worked.

Old 30-10-2010, 11:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Oct 29, 8:08 pm, JB wrote:
[...]

You know, ugly that works is SO much better than pretty that
doesn't! :-)

I built a very nice looking cover 2 years ago. Looked great! Until
some of that Colorado winter wind and snow came through. I looked out
one morning and the entire structure was ripped appart and partly
frozen into the pond. The only thing that kept it from sinking
entirely or being blown into my neighbor's yard were the many support
cables holding the flimsy thing together.

Today I have about 8 ribs in place for a simple construction. I am
using 1 1/4" electircal conduit, schedule 40 and 1" galvanized pipe
(3' 4") to anchor three (3) connected conduits. They ran out at Lowes
and I will go back next week to pick up some more. I looks like I
will have 10 or maybe 11 ribs that will support the plastic and I will
have one seam that I hope will not catch wind. Once that wind gets
under there during a storm, it can just rip the whole thing apart.

I will post some pictures soon of the process. It really is very
simple.

Thanks for your feed back.

W. Dale

Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

W. Dale wrote:

Greetings all!
Here it is, October 29 and we are at 70 F and rising! SO, I am
working on building another pond cover and have two beautiful days to
do it. Any suggestions for plans for a cover of 31' X 25'?
I have seen a few plans and suggestions on line but they are all for
much smaller areas. If any of you have constructed a large cover
would you be willing to share your thoughts, ideas, methods, and the
like?
I hope to have a cover last all winter this year.
Thanks for your help!
W. Dale

I would use a long 2x6 or 2x8 (or even larger) to span the 25' direction.
You'd probably have to order it special. I would then use PVC piping to span
the 15'. Need more info?

Why do you want to cover it?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

One of our enterprising pond club members has an article with a partial
picture of pond in our club newsletter this month (Oct.). Go here and click
on newsletters and than Oct. www.midcolumbiakoi.com And Scroll till you
see heating your pond with household ductwork. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: