Old 16-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Grub's Avatar
Registered User

Question Fluffy algae

Im getting alot of this green fluffy algae growing everywhere in my small pond, its very slimy and starting to cover everything. Is there anyway to stop it??
Old 26-05-2011, 01:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Fluffy algae

Is it on the top of the water? Blanketweed. Koi will often eat
it...a benefit.

It cannot compete well with vascular plants. How are your other
plants doing. We get blanketweed on our berm ponds (that have no koi)
before the vasculars get going strongly (hyacinth, water celery,
parrots feather, etc). Once the others get going, the blanketweed
'rots' away. You can pull it from the surface with a brush or your
hands. That pulls the nutrients from the pond, a definite plus.

You will also benefit from plants that cover your pond surface such as
lilies. They ewffectively shade the water.

You may also get green water if you have too much nutrient in the
water. Same cure.

Have you a veggie filter (smaller, shallow pond loaded with floating
plants to filter the water and grab the nutrients)? Rule of thumb:
Veggie filter with 10+% the surface of the main pond. More is
better. Draw water from the lowest point of your main pond to the
veggie filter. Good circulation and good muck collection. Our berm
ponds collect the muck from the main pond. We drain them once a
year...they have inches of muck. We never have to clean the main
pond.

Good luck.

Old 26-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Grub's Avatar
Registered User

Many thanks for the detailed reply.

It not floating my slowing covering everything beneath. Its a fine, wispy type of algae. The pond it only small, about 1 metre square and it has got a small variety of a lily type of flower slowly growing ontop. So far Ive just try to pull as much of it out as I can bit by bit.

Rate This Thread: