Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default How is the bad weather affecting you?

How have you all fared in the bad weather?

All the bad weather has brought Jackson rain and some freezing, but
nothing worse. Last night's ice storm was expected to bring a half to
an inch of ice. That would be very bad! Breaking limbs and broken
power lines would be everywhere. At this point, it has missed us and
there is no accumulation. We shall see as the day passes, but the temp
is likely to go just above freezing instead of just below.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 2/4/2011 7:42 AM, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
How have you all fared in the bad weather?

All the bad weather has brought Jackson rain and some freezing, but
nothing worse. Last night's ice storm was expected to bring a half to
an inch of ice. That would be very bad! Breaking limbs and broken
power lines would be everywhere. At this point, it has missed us and
there is no accumulation. We shall see as the day passes, but the temp
is likely to go just above freezing instead of just below.

Temperatures in the mid-seventies last weekend and down into the teens
this week + snow. Been kind of crazy around here.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Temps in MS are now oscillating between the 20's and the 70's. This
is when we get ice storms. The last left us less than 1/4 inch and
did not break trees. 1/2 inch does break them.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
.
How have you all fared in the bad weather?

All the bad weather has brought Jackson rain and some freezing, but
nothing worse. Last night's ice storm was expected to bring a half to
an inch of ice. That would be very bad! Breaking limbs and broken
power lines would be everywhere. At this point, it has missed us and
there is no accumulation. We shall see as the day passes, but the temp
is likely to go just above freezing instead of just below.

It's not affecting us at all. We got some light snow but now it's just
drizzle and in the 40s and 50s. The ponds aren't frozen over.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi RM,

We used to live on Lookout Mtn. The winters were pretty cold at some
points. I used to cut firewood for the furnace. It took a lot of
wood for the winter. Nice to hear the winter is treating you well.

Jim

Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

my plastic "tent"

Sorry to hear about your tent, Ingrid.

I didn't put one over our berm ponds this year. That has meant no
damage to the plastic :} But it also means the hyacinth were hit with
20 degree weather. I wait to see how much has survived the freezes.
About a month to a month and a half will let me know!

Jim

Old 21-02-2011, 02:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

my plastic "tent"

Was it a combination of snow & wind, or age? I know my screen material is
showing its age. This winter when the pipes froze up late at night, we had
to get an air stone into the water in the upper pond. My DS found a small
hole in the screen.... he pushed gently and the airstone enlarged the hole
to the exact size, way tooooo easily. If an animal wanted to get in, I
doubt it would take much. Hot wire still on to prevent that.

I didn't put one over our berm ponds this year. That has meant no
damage to the plastic :} But it also means the hyacinth were hit with
20 degree weather. I wait to see how much has survived the freezes.
About a month to a month and a half will let me know! Jim

Will be interesting to know if WH survive that weather unprotected. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: