Old 03-04-2011, 01:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Time to Order Food Again

Placed an order today for two ten pound bags of Sho Koi Impact from
Western Outdoor Aquatics. Now that I took care of the snake and the
heron seems to not be visiting since I placed a heron looking iron
sculpture near the pond, my fish are flourishing.

Does anyone want to start the annual debate on what's the best food to
feed your fish thread?!? ;-)

Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:19:08 EDT, JB wrote:

Placed an order today for two ten pound bags of Sho Koi Impact from
Western Outdoor Aquatics. Now that I took care of the snake and the
heron seems to not be visiting since I placed a heron looking iron
sculpture near the pond, my fish are flourishing.

Does anyone want to start the annual debate on what's the best food to
feed your fish thread?!? ;-)

As you know, no argument from me. :-)

I also ordered a 10 lb bag of Sho Koi, but added 3 lbs of their variety mix
that also has immuno-support in it. Than is there is the fruits & greens, 1
lb that the fish seemed to like, and lastly 2 lbs of Sho Gold sinking for
the goldies inside. Had to get that order over $100 for the free shipping,
was pretty easy to do. My order is suppose to arrive this Thursday. I have
to say I LOVE Western Outdoor Aquatics, as they always answer their E-mail
quickly.

Anyway, I was shocked when I did my freezer inventory that I had used all
but about 1-2 cups of food from last year! That is a first, but I now have
the wakins in the lily pond I like to feed. I'm hoping the 3 extra pounds
will be enough. With this late spring it may very well be.

Also placed an order for Koizyme. Later I'll need to place an order for
dechlor, as I'm about out of that. I get it dry.... currently it looks like
Aquatic-Eco might have the best price. Anyone? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-04-2011, 02:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 4/5/2011 8:33 AM, ~ jan wrote:
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:19:08 EDT, wrote:

[...]

Up til now I only ordered 1 10 pound bag so I had to supplement it to
get up to free shipping. I'm guessing this year the 10 lbs will be gone
by late August. I've got a co-worker that feeds catfish food that she
has to buy in 50 pound bags. She likes the price but says she ends up
having to toss a lot of it because it gets moths.

I like my fish too much to experiment. My oldest Koi turn 14 this summer.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I continue to be the bad guy. Shhhhhh.... I use pond fish
food...catfish and trout food. Have done so for almost 15 years. I
am sure they have fatty livers or something and that they may not live
their full century. If, however, they get to 50 years, I will be
100+. Cost issue: My fance koi and goldies cost $3.95 and $0.75 @.
Have lost only 1 koi in 15 yrs. Catfish food is now up to a whopping
$13.45 per 50 pound sack...lasts a season. Just can't bring myself to
fork out the green for better foods. I know...bad fish keeper. Too
much scot in my blood.

Jim (Phyllis does not choose food)

Old 13-04-2011, 01:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If I went thru 50 lbs in a season I'd have to find a cheaper alternative.
As is, I can baby them a little bit, with the hope it improves their immune
system. ~ jan

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 07:08:38 EDT, Jim wrote:

I continue to be the bad guy. Shhhhhh.... I use pond fish
food...catfish and trout food. Have done so for almost 15 years. I
am sure they have fatty livers or something and that they may not live
their full century. If, however, they get to 50 years, I will be
100+. Cost issue: My fance koi and goldies cost $3.95 and $0.75 @.
Have lost only 1 koi in 15 yrs. Catfish food is now up to a whopping
$13.45 per 50 pound sack...lasts a season. Just can't bring myself to
fork out the green for better foods. I know...bad fish keeper. Too
much scot in my blood.

Jim (Phyllis does not choose food)

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us