Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Great Blue Problem

This morning not all the food was eaten in my berm breeding pond. I
wondered. Later, when I went out, a GBH flew away. I hope the fish
are scared rather than gone! I will begin a southern counter stalk
for the heron. Choice between fish and heron is not hard.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have seen the bird 3 times., The berm pond seems empty. It has not
got anything I can see from the main pond. It has got to go.

Old 15-05-2011, 12:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 7 May 2011 18:46:26 EDT, Jim wrote:

I have seen the bird 3 times., The berm pond seems empty. It has not
got anything I can see from the main pond. It has got to go.

Not sure what got to go means, and/or what your landscaping is like, but
the threaded fishing line along the top of the fence and over the pond from
fence to deck has kept them from coming back for a 2nd helping here.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-05-2011, 12:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

He's a bad, bad bird. He is also federally protected.

k :-)

Old 15-05-2011, 07:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Yes, the federal protection is a life saver! Right now, the pond is
empty, so he is not back. The main pond is too deep to fish in. I
will let the upper pond be covered by plants before putting more fish
in. I suppose I could think about motion activated sprinklers.

Old 20-05-2011, 12:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Must be the empty pond! The GBH has not come back since he tried for
two days to get at the fish in the main pond. The berm is empty. I
will have to think about that issue next time I put some fish up there
to breed. Turns out that insetead of breed, they become feed.

Old 25-05-2011, 11:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Sco Heron 3 - Goldfish 3

I cleaned the berm ponds today. It turns out that 3 of the 6 goldfish
got away from the heron.

Old 29-05-2011, 11:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 5/7/2011 7:03 AM, Jim wrote:
This morning not all the food was eaten in my berm breeding pond. I
wondered. Later, when I went out, a GBH flew away. I hope the fish
are scared rather than gone! I will begin a southern counter stalk
for the heron. Choice between fish and heron is not hard.

I bought a metal heron sculpture at a garden show this spring that I
placed out by my pond. It's about 3 1/2 feet tall. I'd had problems with
GBH in the past but I've not seen one near the pond since placing the
yard art out there. I think GBHs are pretty solitary birds. Maybe they
think that one has already staked out my pond so they go elsewhere.

Old 30-05-2011, 10:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

A sculpture is a nice idea. The only one we have is a 3' sasquatch
our son got us for Christmas. It has not scared the heron.

Old 30-05-2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In message
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

A sculpture is a nice idea. The only one we have is a 3' sasquatch
our son got us for Christmas. It has not scared the heron.

Sometimes the fake Heron can actually encourage a Heron to visit as
opposed to scare one off.

Stephen.

Old 31-05-2011, 12:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Crock sounds even better!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 15, 5:53 am, kathy wrote:
He's a bad, bad bird. He is also federally protected.

k :-)

Blue "chickens" are federally protected???? Dang! Maybe that is why
they are so tough! You have to use 'em in a soup or the like, cause
frying 'em up they are still tough!
Well ... shoot! Protected, huh? :-) :-)

Old 11-06-2011, 11:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

LOL!!!! Omy! ~ jan

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 10:15:25 EDT, wrote:

http://www.thirdage.com/news/fake-al...ent_06-03-2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:02:59 EDT, wrote:
I got a crocodile which herons cannot ignore as their winter homes have alligators.

-------------
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The heron has not come back since he cleaned out my pond. He gave up
on the main pond as it has no place for him to get to the fish. The
berm ponds are now covered in plants, so s/he can't see the fish to
take them. I am guessing it takes a look from time to time.

Problem ended for both the heron and for us.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

great items for you lawn decorating plus great selection of bird houses carol pritt Lawns 1 12-05-2009 10:23 AM
log on to this page for great information on the TOPIC!! It's really great!!! farhaj Plant Science 5 28-03-2007 02:51 AM
log on to this page for great information on the TOPIC!! It's really great!!! farhaj Plant Science 1 27-03-2007 08:38 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Some great NEW products... and a great Bonus ordering opportunity! Earl Buchan Gardening 0 21-03-2003 06:08 PM