Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond Heater

I won one of those black 100 watt heaters in a drawing 5 years ago. This
year it literally went belly up. Water got into it. We had been having some
freezing temps and I'd periodically would go out and check and I could tell
it was working because of the water being liquid right at the edge of it.

Two weeks ago when I checked, it was upside down and water logged. I have
shade cloth over the pond and we had had 6-8" of snow prior to finding it
like this. All I can think is the snow/ice on the shade cloth pushed the
heater further into the water than it should go and water got in where the
cord inserts into the plastic ring.

I do plan to get a new one. Anyone know of any good end of winter season
sales for such? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Your post makes me glad to live down here where there is ice on the
pond once in a blue moon. Temps in 50-70 degree range just now!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:33:08 EST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Your post makes me glad to live down here where there is ice on the
pond once in a blue moon. Temps in 50-70 degree range just now!

;-p Nice.... the last 8 or 9 years (since I went back to work) I haven't
really looked forwarded to spring, but this year, even though the winter
hasn't been that bad, I'm really looking forward to nicer temps. I'm even
doing a pond class this spring for Master Gardener's!!! Shocking that!

I did find a heater, thru Amazon for $30 + change. I got the same type, as
it had worked well. I figured out what had happen to the old one was the
screen had pushed it too low in the water when the snow/ice was upon it,
thus it got down deep enough in the water where the cord enters the ring.
I'm sure a freeze/thaw cycle or two made the seal there give just enough to
let the water in. We will put something over the pond that won't allow the
screen to drupe in the future. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Aquarium heater in pond EliezerE Ponds 10 06-12-2003 09:12 PM
pond heater vs. de-icer Dennis Ponds 7 17-09-2003 02:24 AM
swimming pool heater for pond Dennis Ponds 4 13-09-2003 05:22 PM