Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Spring is Here?!

March 2nd and it's going to hit 80 degrees for the 2nd day in a row here
in central Arkansas. I'm not one for bitter cold but we barely had a
winter. I hate to see these type warm ups because that usually means a
poor fruit crop later on (Think blueberries and peaches.) when it turns
back into winter and the blooms freeze.

Regardless, the fish are getting active. Can't believe that I am without
fish food. Just finished placing my Sho Koi fish food order. I'm
guessing that 20 pounds may just get me through the summer and into
fall. (These guys are big eaters.)

Also, had such good luck with my introduction of Matala filter medium
(green) a couple of years ago into my bio falls that I ordered another
sheet (blue). If this warm weather keeps up I'll have to do a filter
clean out and I'll replace another bag of lava rock with this filter pad.

I know this may sound like I deal in pond products but I don't. Just
sharing info on what I've found that works for me. Too bad Oase is out
of the pump business. I've been using one of their pumps since 1998 and
it can't run forever.

JB

Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 19:47:41 EST, JB wrote:

[...]

Hi JB, I too will be ordering Shokoi later this month. Today I ordered
Manda Fu, ever try that? It is great food all season, but particularly,
imo, spring and fall. The fish LOVE it! Kodama Farms is having a special
this month, small box for $30, no shipping charges. A small box will have 2
bags within, the bags are about the size of a sofa pillow. The food is very
light weight and a little goes a long way. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 07:25:15 EST, wrote:

I have a new plexi cover on my pond and it is completely surrounded by a combination
of polycarbonate windows and ripstop nylon "tent" and of course, we have had almost
no snow. The water temp has been 55-60, I feed every 2 days and the veggie filter
under the plexi cover is doing fine.

I just got back from 2 weeks down at Jo Ann's, went to Mardi Gras in Mobile. I now
have a 1992 GMC conversion van fitted out to be a little RV. I drove down by myself
since DH was teaching. I start teaching at MSOE (Milwaukee school of engineering)
next Monday (quarter system) and M 21 at Mount Mary College/University. So I get a
2.5 month winter break to get out of the frigid temps.

I am not sure I mentioned that I was reorganized out of my teaching job at Marquette
U. I taught there 18 years and they told me I was not returning in fall (nor
teaching my online course in summer) 1 week before my 64th birthday. So I filed for
social security and hit them up for unemployment for the last year. With the two
schools and SS I will be back where I was. But I will also have my summers off to
head out and travel in my Rvan with a couple of my dogs.

As long as my DH doesnt find me any more teaching jobs... LOL.

Ingrid

Ingrid, it sounds like you made some good lemon aide out of the lemons that
were tossed at you. Always a good thing to have summer off, I don't mind
working fall & winter, but come this time of year with so much I want to do
I wish I had every good weather day to stay home. Ah well. Glad I have a
week off in April and then summer.

Things are looking up though. DH went back to working as a chemist and thus
has company paid health insurance so I could drop him from mine. That
doubled my take home pay!!!! The business has become small time and we'll
transfer it over to my eldest DS w/Aspergers the 1st of next year once we
have him all trained to take it all on. Hopefully it won't be too stressful
for him to learn the book-keeping and such.

For the 1st time since I went back to work I volunteered to do a Pond
Basics class for the Master Gardeners, that's the 10th. Will be my first
time doing one using a computer, so all new pics, rather than my old slide
show. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Friday, March 2, 2012 5:47:41 PM UTC-7, JB wrote:
[...]

It will be 67 here in the Springs! That is almost like summer for us! :-)
of course we are supposed to have snow this Thursday and Friday. :-)) So, yes, Spring is here for part of the Rocky Mountains.

W. Dale

Old 17-03-2012, 12:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My pond talk went great, I was real happy with the turn out and since I
went right up to quitting time I had a lot of spill over from the other
talks as people wandered in.

Unfortunately I forgot my sign-in sheet to get folks' e-mail addresses so
they could be on my Tidbit's list. I put my e-mail address up on the white
board, but have had only 1 person contact me thru that. :-( ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 11:57 PM
Spring is here R&V Childers Orchids 0 18-03-2003 07:08 AM
A memory of spring, and a time to rejoice for just being here madgard Gardening 2 10-03-2003 11:32 PM
Spring is here! Diamond Ponds (alternative) 3 15-02-2003 04:59 PM
No Sign of Spring here in Bronx, Ny Zone 6 MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 09-02-2003 07:55 PM